Two month old Roo shutting down; poo filled with intestinal lining

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CathyM, May 7, 2011.

1. CathyM

CathyM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    I would appreciate any help that you can give - my new little rooster has been listless, lethargic - now is barely standing. I started him on Corid two days ago, and I am sure he's been drinking the water every half hour, but he's still getting sicker!

1) What type of bird , age and weight. 2.5 months old, weighs very little now
    Blue Silkie-Cochin roo over a Bantam Dark Brahma hen

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Swollen soft crop, poop is largely intestinal lining and white liquid, standing still, hunched, eyes closed a lot. Now he's staggering as he stands; no energy, but drinking water more - seems thirsty?

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2-3 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No, not even the little pullet in the brooder with him

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No - he was fine and energetic 4 days ago, perhaps less so 3 days ago, then two days ago definitely not well. I had put some dirt from the garden in the brooder, for dust baths and extra grit - they'd had some sand, but I'd cleaned out the brooder to clear the poop. Other bird is fine.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Will drink every half hour as I offer water, today has been drinking a lot all on his own. Listlessly pecks at feed; refuses scrambled egg or med-water soaked bread.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. I thought "bloody" but now that I've looked on the photos, it seems to be intestinal lining- but large amounts!! Very gooey, like cell tissue, not briht red like blood. It also has yellow-white foam or liquid and lots of clear liquid.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? First day AVC in water, no food - I thought "sour crop" first. Then the abnormal poop made me think cocci (I read BYC for all references of bloody stool), so I got Corid. They had been on medicated feed, but the last two weeks had been on non-med feed. So I put them all back on medicated. And I've been massaging his crop almost every half hour; it goes down (with a little burping noise) but then inflates again by the next time.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I can't afford a vet; I would like any suggestions other than the Corid, or ideas about what it might be so I can avoid doing it again.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use pine shavings, but I've covered them now with rags and paper towels, which I'm removing when there is bloody/messy poop

Remember that we are not veterinarians. We help based on our own research and experiences.
    We cannot monitor the board 24/7, and therefore do not guarantee we can always help, much as we would wish to.
    We should never be a replacement if real medical attention is required.
    If your situation seems to require a trip to the vet, please do so. It is always a good idea to know of an avian vet in your area in case your situation is bad enough that we cannot help. We encourage you to visit the Reference Forum and read up there before you need the information.

2. CathyM

Jan 27, 2011
    PS - I'm also wondering how fast/slow cocci or other illnesses take a bird down -- this is my first sick bird, and I can't tell if he's making any improvement, or holding his own, or fading... very hard to watch helplessly. [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There are about 9 strains of different types of cocci. The corid might not be working on one or more type of the particular strain. I recommend trying sulmet instead.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  4. CathyM

Jan 27, 2011
    Thanks for the tip! Anything helps at this point!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by