Two month old Rooster has leg going backwards

debbytingen

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 13, 2013
I have a two month old Rooster with one leg going one way and his other leg is going the other way. It is his joint I am sure of it. Can I fix it by putting it in a splint or some other method? He is very active and wants to live. I am thinking about taking him to the Vet. It will cost around $100 dollars or more. Is there anything I can do? I do not want to put him to sleep. Please some-one help me. I hope he is young enough to correct this. I can turn his foot around but it will not stay. Please help me because later on he will not be able to sit on the perch with his brothers and sisters. I don't know if he is in pain or not.

I have a two month old Rooster with one leg going one way and his other leg is going the other way.  It is his joint I am sure of it.  Can I fix it by putting it in a splint or some other method?  He is very active and wants to live.  I am thinking about taking him to the Vet.  It will cost around $100 dollars or more.  Is there anything I can do?  I do not want to put him to sleep.  Please some-one help me.  I hope he is young enough to correct this.  I can turn his foot around but it will not stay.  Please help me because later on he will not be able to sit on the perch with his brothers and sisters.  I don't know if he is in pain or not.

List of thing you can as should do:

1. Do a pain test! Gently touch his foot and wait for a reaction then twist his foot a little more than it already is but be gentle! See if he reacts in any way. If he does u know he's in pain. In my opinion you should try to help him but if you don't see any progress within a year and he's in pain it's in his best interest to be humanely euthanized. If he is in pain ask your vet what pain medications you can give him.

2. Once you give him pain medicine you need to make a very strong splint that you think will fix the problem. Document his progress.

3. Once you see progress make sure it's really helping him. Check to see if he still wants to do what he normally does and do another pain test. You should do pain tests as much as every week.

4. Once he's completely healed take him to the vet and make sure you didn't break his leg or do something bad to his leg. However If he seems ok then you don't have to take him to the vet.

P.S use common sense to make sure you don't make the situation worse. Also take pictures of him now and as he progresses. Post them on this thread so that more people can help you better.

Back
Top Bottom