Two Mystery Chicks, any ideas?

Jml387

Chirping
Jun 1, 2022
Hello,

I received 6 eggs from someone and they were all suppose to be lavender orpingtons (they had a hen and a rooster). Well two are lavenders, but two are splits as they also had a chocolate rooster that got with the lavender hen. So that leaves two that are a complete mystery to me.

One is orange (and I also think it's a rooster but I'm new to chicks and he's only a week old). The other I thought was a split because shes black/dark brown but she has an orange face so it makes think she is not.

The people I received the eggs from also have Partridge orpingtons, so the chicks have to be orpingtons but when I looked up patridge it didn't seem to fit.

Any thoughts?!
24F94AA1-93F1-458A-9E67-CA33C3485DFA.jpeg
706CF9B5-A002-4D28-9133-36056B6E202F.jpeg
9B4FA00E-9959-4AD1-8C12-914978A2CC7B.jpeg
81535B11-3436-4ECB-AD89-C938B7E27A5A.jpeg
FF1F40BF-6B71-4777-9F2E-2297737E1143.jpeg

The other I thought was a split because shes black/dark brown but she has an orange face so it makes think she is not.

The people I received the eggs from also have Partridge orpingtons, so the chicks have to be orpingtons but when I looked up patridge it didn't seem to fit.
That dark one with the orange face appears to have a rose comb.

But Orpingtons are supposed to have single combs, like your other chicks appear to have.

So that chick has at least one parent that is not an Orpington. Do the people also have any Wyandottes? Or Hamburgs or Sebrights?

(Note: this is true in the USA where I live. Orpington standards may allow a different comb type in some other countries.)

That dark one with the orange face appears to have a rose comb.

But Orpingtons are supposed to have single combs, like your other chicks appear to have.

So that chick has at least one parent that is not an Orpington. Do the people also have any Wyandottes? Or Hamburgs or Sebrights?

(Note: this is true in the USA where I live. Orpington standards may allow a different comb type in some other countries.)
Thank you that is so helpful!! I will ask her if she has other chickens, she seemed convinved they were the partridge orpingtons when they were first born but when I google pictures of them they didn't look very similar.

Some are definitely not Orpingtons. The brown chicks are bearded/muffed and one has a rose comb. Another black chick appears to have a rose comb. There's definitely another undisclosed breed that's in the pen or they're something else entirely. :)

Back
Top Bottom