Two new moms coexist in small coop?

Lisa L

Songster
May 6, 2020
Walkertown, NC
I made the mistake of allowing two bantam hens sit on their eggs in my small "nursery" coop. Once chicks hatch will there be a problem coexisting in the small coop or should I create a makeshift coop/area and move one of the hens and chicks. Any and all comments/suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

They have both brooded so this is not new to them. They are great moms. They are in separate nest boxes right next to each other. See attached pic. The sets of eggs should hatch within days of each other.
20220921_175018.jpg

As long as one clutch hatches before the other, I think they may be okay. My silkies do great co-nesting on different aged eggs, and then I just remove a mom with each set of babies.
How big of a space will they have after hatch?

As long as one clutch hatches before the other, I think they may be okay. My silkies do great co-nesting on different aged eggs, and then I just remove a mom with each set of babies.
How big of a space will they have after hatch?
The moving them part after hatching is my concern. I'm thinking I will have to do that. I just don't have another coop to house them in. The big coop houses my rooster and seven other hens and there is already a broody hen sitting on five eggs in there. So you think I should move one hen and chicks once they hatch then? Not a good idea to leave them both in that small coop together?

The moving them part after hatching is my concern. I'm thinking I will have to do that. I just don't have another coop to house them in. The big coop houses my rooster and seven other hens and there is already a broody hen sitting on five eggs in there. So you think I should move one hen and chicks once they hatch then? Not a good idea to leave them both in that small coop together?
No, you could probably leave them. I move my silkies for my own convenience and to make sure someone takes care of the first chicks that hatch since otherwise all 3 gals would set until all the eggs hatch, which usually is a few weeks total.

If you could convince them to have a box between them, it might help a bit more with the distance though. But I think that they should be okay.

No, you could probably leave them. I move my silkies for my own convenience and to make sure someone takes care of the first chicks that hatch since otherwise all 3 gals would set until all the eggs hatch, which usually is a few weeks total.

If you could convince them to have a box between them, it might help a bit more with the distance though. But I think that they should be okay.
Great! Thank you 😊 💓

Back
Top Bottom