Two Newbies

Marjoram

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 9, 2014
My husband and I are two weeks new to the world of chickens. We live in a city that allows up to 4 hens. So far we are really enjoying our little ones. We got 2 Buff Orps and 2 Australorps because everything we read said they were docile breeds. They were fine for the first week but then one of the Aussies became very aggressive, especially to the Orps. Constantly pecking at eyes and vents to the point that they bleed. We separated the breeds with a screen. Any suggestions on what's going on? Are we in for trouble when they move to the coop? Thanks for any suggestions!

images

Welcome to BYC!

Are these still babies?? Generally both of these breeds are very docile and if anything, it would be the Orps after the Australorps. So I am going to say that possibly your brooder is too cramped. All chicks will go off on each other if they are cramped in and hot. So I think you need to make more room and cool down your brooder. They should all be able to get along with each other just fine. More room chill them out and try putting them back together. If there are any wounds or open sores, you can use some blu-kote spray to hide the wounds, and to prevent any infection. I think this is a space issue, not a breed issue.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your chicks, X3 it is probably a space issue, also if you can, using a red lightbulb if they still need heat and darkening the room the brooder is in somewhat may help.

Put the bully in time out away from the others. Give them more space. If the bully insists on being one you could rehome him and have him for ,dinner down the road, when he is bigger.

Birds like people 'can' have attitudes that nothing will change.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll try cooling things down and see if it helps. I didn't think of that since they're only 2 weeks old. Their brooder is four feet by 18 inches. That's cut in half, of course, now that they're separated. I'll give it a couple of days and see what happens. It's funny--the smallest one of the bunch is the bully! Go figure...
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom