Two odd eggs in one setting

Adhdandthensome

Hatching
Dec 18, 2020
I am hoping someone could guide me in the direction of explaining how this happened and then how to correct the problem.
We have a small flock of 1 chicken and 3 ducks. This particular story involves our 2 1/2 year old female duck who normally has no issues with laying. However this morning when I went to collect the eggs, she had layed two........ one regular sized, but soft shelled, and another tiny seemingly solid calcium one right next to it (see pic). Any thoughts or ideas???? I am familiar with a soft shelled egg, but not this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 8
the small one could be a wind egg (sometimes called rooster egg, fairy egg, fart egg, and a bunch of other stuff) but i dont know why there would be two.

Well we do have a young duck who we have not sexed that was hatched October 8th, could this be a first attempt at laying? I assumed it would be too young, but it did grow very quickly.

The young one is to young for it to be the young duck.

I think it is just a glitch or hiccup. Nothing to worry about unless you see it repeatedly.

You do know keeping a drake with chickens can go very badly for the chicken when/if he tries to mate them right?

To be clear...
Drakes have a penis while roosters do not. Chickens are not built for that kind of mating. It can cause severe injury and often death.

Thank you for the info, I had heard not to keep the drake with my hens, however I have never had issue with it before. I had assumed it was kind of like the old saying that a dog cannot walk backwards, all of my dogs can with no issue. And my drakes have never hurt a hen, at least not yet, knock on wood.

Thank you for the info, I had heard not to keep the drake with my hens, however I have never had issue with it before. I had assumed it was kind of like the old saying that a dog cannot walk backwards, all of my dogs can with no issue. And my drakes have never hurt a hen, at least not yet, knock on wood.

Do be ready with a way to contain him or the chickens come spring mating.

Things can go south very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom