Two of my chickens died of heat exhaustion...

chickensrule45

In the Brooder
5 Years
Hi everyone,
last night when I went to put my four chickens to bed, only two came out.
I went around the back and found my other two lying near eachother dead.
They were covered in ants and one of the ones who died was my only living EX battery hen! :( The other one was still young.
I assume they died of heat exhaustion since yesterday was boiling hot!!
Now I only have two left and I want to prevent the same happening to Henrietta and Angeline.
Also, the chicken on my avatar photo is one of the two that died:(

Any suggestions for keeping my last two cool and out of the heat?

Thanks

Turkenstein25pizapw1420385197.jpg
sorry for your losses
hugs.gif

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I'm so terribly sorry about your losses!
hugs.gif
That is horrible!

The best ways to keep your flock is to provide lots of shade and cool water. Also, hanging frozen jugs with a fan blowing on them can keep the coop cooled down. Large bowls or buckets of water will allow them to dip their combs and feet if needed.

Good luck and sorry again!
hugs.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Oh I am so sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif
Use a fan, hose down their area, put ice cubes in the water, feed cool treats and if you have too, bring them inside if you have AC. Sometimes however, the heat does get overwhelming. So sorry.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

G'day, so sorry about your tragic losses. I think the best place for help would be the aussie thread "Australia, six states and one funny little island." They should know how to get their birds through the fierce heat.

Back
Top Bottom