Two part question here on coop size and silkies

rubone47

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2016
I live in NJ and planning on getting 10 Buff Orpingtons with 6 Silkies . Im planning on building a coop that will keep the 2 breeds apart with dividers inside the coop with also separate runs for each breed. My question is what size should I make the coop and also is it a good idea to keep them apart.

Thanks
Jim

The coop should average 4 sqft per bird. The run should average 10 ft per. I have a 16 by 32 coop and my flock is free range. For ease of cleaning I would advise making your coop tall enough for you to stand up in. I also have a smaller coop I use as a grow out coop, as I raise my birds for meat. We constantly have birds hatching. The small coop is8×6 and 8 ft tall. There are roosting boards for 30 birds in there. Off the small run there is a 24×16 covered enclosed run. It's great size for babies.

As for separating the 2 breeds,are you going to breed? If so yes separate. If not then there is no reason to separate.

Yes I am thinking of breeding. When you say 4sq per bird Im assuming your talking floor space. Correct? Thanks for the input

Yes floor space, for roost space 12-18 inches per bird. Keep 12 inches of space on both sides of the roost so neither beak nor tail are smushed into the wall. 3 nest boxes per coop should be more than adequate as most times they will share anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom