1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two part question here on coop size and silkies

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rubone47, Jun 5, 2016.

1. rubone47

rubone47 New Egg

Jun 5, 2016
    I live in NJ and planning on getting 10 Buff Orpingtons with 6 Silkies . Im planning on building a coop that will keep the 2 breeds apart with dividers inside the coop with also separate runs for each breed. My question is what size should I make the coop and also is it a good idea to keep them apart.

Thanks
    Jim

2. Chicken girl 15

Chicken girl 15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    The coop should average 4 sqft per bird. The run should average 10 ft per. I have a 16 by 32 coop and my flock is free range. For ease of cleaning I would advise making your coop tall enough for you to stand up in. I also have a smaller coop I use as a grow out coop, as I raise my birds for meat. We constantly have birds hatching. The small coop is8×6 and 8 ft tall. There are roosting boards for 30 birds in there. Off the small run there is a 24×16 covered enclosed run. It's great size for babies.

As for separating the 2 breeds,are you going to breed? If so yes separate. If not then there is no reason to separate.

3. rubone47

rubone47 New Egg

Jun 5, 2016
    Yes I am thinking of breeding. When you say 4sq per bird Im assuming your talking floor space. Correct? Thanks for the input

4. Chicken girl 15

Chicken girl 15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    Yes floor space, for roost space 12-18 inches per bird. Keep 12 inches of space on both sides of the roost so neither beak nor tail are smushed into the wall. 3 nest boxes per coop should be more than adequate as most times they will share anyhow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by