Two post mortems (necropsies) in two days..... WARNING GRAPHIC PHOTOS

rebrascora

Free Ranging
5 Years
Feb 14, 2014
Consett Co.Durham. UK
Well it has been a sad week with the loss last Monday of my little broody bantam lavender pekin (cochin) who I found dead and cold on her eggs. She was a real sweetheart and both I and her husband are missing her badly.... They lived in a little prefab coop on my lawn and were such a happy couple free ranging a large lawned area of the garden.... always pooping where you really didn't want them to but couldn't help but forgiving them for it. Luckily I had another pekin in a different coop which had just gone broody the night before so I was able to transfer the eggs and :fl they have survived getting cold overnight. They were about 9 days into incubation.

The second loss was a 5 year old hen that I gave to some neighbours about 2 years ago. I still have her mother and 3 of her sisters. She had been looking sick for a few days and when I went to see her at their request today, she was very weak and pale and had lost interest in food and was just lying waiting for the inevitable. I offered to end her suffering and they agreed but preferred for me to take her home to do it. She lay calmly whilst I carried her but half way down the hill she had a quick spasm and died in my arms.

I took a series of photos of each bird being examined which I thought some people might be interested in from an educational point of view. It is my opinion that the first died of a heart attack possibly as a result of fatty liver although the liver did not show the usual tan colouration, it was very dark red but pretty friable. The second had a tumour on her breast bone and a hugely enlarged and discoloured liver with one small lesion in it and a tumour on her heart and from the research I have done it was almost certainly Lymphoid Leukosis, which is commonly referred to as Big Liver Disease. I am open to other interpretation of these finding though and discussion of anything in the photos which people think is relevant. to cooperate....

It may take me a while to download today's photos as I have a new phone and it is not wanting to cooperate.

057.JPG

063.JPG
066.JPG
069.jpg

084.JPG

Attachments

• 089.JPG
    089.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 11
I did take precautions of dousing the dead bird in disinfectant before exam, using a remote site and changing clothes immediately afterwards and burying the remains well out of the way, but to be honest I had pretty much convinced myself that it was going to be Marek's and since she was originally from my flock, I assumed that she had been carrying it from when she was in my flock. It was quite a surprise to find such a massive liver and even then, with the other tumours I thought it was still probably Marek's until I Googled "enlarged chicken liver" and it directed me to Big Liver Disease being Lymphoid Leukosis.

I am so sorry for your losses:hugs

Are all of the pictures from your cochin? The friable liver would make me suspicious of fatty liver too. One thing that caught my eye was the color of the intestines... Parts seem to dark, and other parts look too red.

Again, sorry for your losses.

Back
Top Bottom