Two pullets died today

It is a red heating lamp that is clipped to a ladder so I can raise to reduce heat. There is a thermometer hanging from rhe side of my brooder, showing 82 degrees.
I am still very new to raising chickens but I used this set up for all of my other chickens.

Also, I changed the pine shavings today. Nothing odd - still pulling from the same bag that I've been using since bringing these chicks home.
Sounds like you are doing everything great!
I would be tempted to add some electrolytes into their water once just in case. It’s odd that those two died. I’d also keep a close eye on the other chicks.

Thank you.
Wow! It sounds like you're doing everything right. Perhaps it was just a fluke. Keep an eye on the other chicks and keep us posted.

Sounds like you are doing everything great!
I would be tempted to add some electrolytes into their water once just in case. It’s odd that those two died. I’d also keep a close eye on the other chicks.
Will do.
Thank you!

Unfortunately, sometimes chicks die and we think and feel like it was someone did. Most times, it is nothing we did and the chicks just didn’t develop well in the egg.
Okay.
I have been feeling like a failure today. My kidults asked me why I thought I was in control of life and death, so I had to get it together. You sentiments are greatly appreciated.

The SG was two weeks old and the BR was three weeks old. The BR was being really weird, lethargic and uninterested in water or food.

It is a red heating lamp that is clipped to a ladder so I can raise to reduce heat. There is a thermometer hanging from rhe side of my brooder, showing 82 degrees.

I think they would be cold without it. I am curled up on the couch with a blanket.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Please post some photos of the brooder, the chicks and their poop. 1 photo with the red heat lamp on, the rest without it on.

Is the whole brooder 82F or just one spot?

Lethargic, not eating/drinking and 2-3 weeks old, they may have been too hot, but Coccidiosis comes to mind as well.
I would at least get some Corid to have on hand, but it wouldn't hurt to begin treating the remaining chicks.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Please post some photos of the brooder, the chicks and their poop. 1 photo with the red heat lamp on, the rest without it on.

Lethargic, not eating/drinking and 2-3 weeks old, they may have been too hot, but Coccidiosis comes to mind as well.
I would at least get some Corid to have on hand, but it wouldn't hurt to begin treating the remaining chicks.
Just one corner above their heads near the thermometer was 82 degrees.
I will get the Corid and treat them.

Thank you!
20210727_070744.jpg
20210727_070752.jpg

Attachments

• 20210727_070808.jpg
    20210727_070808.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 1
Just one corner above their heads near the thermometer was 82 degrees.
I will get the Corid and treat them.

Thank you!View attachment 2775065View attachment 2775063
Brooder is too small.
They have no cool place to move to.
Provide them with a larger area with 1 warm spot and let the rest be cool. Chicks overheat quickly.

Think of it this way. When chicks are with a Mama Hen, they run under her to warm up for a little while. Otherwise the chicks are running about all over the place eating/drinking/exploring.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Without the lamp...

20210727_075326.jpg
20210727_075304.jpg

Attachments

• 20210727_075254.jpg
    20210727_075254.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom