Two pullets not laying

NoisyNora

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
I have a mixed flock and so far everyone (that is near laying age) is laying with two notable exceptions. My 27 week old Welsummer is not laying and neither is my 25 week old Buckeye. My other 27 week old Welsummer has been laying for a month now, so I am not sure what to make of it. I know that both of these girls are pullets and not cockerels in disguise (the Welsummer looks IDENTICAL to her sister with the exception of her comb, and the Buckeye has no Rooster features). Both of their combs are still very pale and not at all swollen like my other pullets were (and still are) when they started laying. These are my first chickens ever so I am not really sure what to make of it. I also know for a fact that they aren't laying the eggs somewhere hidden. Thoughts, hints, anything? I am not too worried about the eggs, just curious as to why they might not be laying yet?

Animals of all species mature at different rates. Chickens are no exception. They simply have not matured as rapidly as their flockmates.

Back
Top Bottom