two pullets the same age looking very different

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kiwiheather, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Kiwiheather

Kiwiheather Chirping

Aug 20, 2011
    Here are some (not great) pics of what I think are exchequer leghorns. They are both about 18 weeks old but Lucy has developed a large floppy comb and ethel, still very small. They are from mcmurrarys "rainbow layer" assortment and I have had them since they were a day old. Do they mature at different speeds or do I have a roo on my hands? [​IMG] Any help is appreciated!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Songster

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    I think it is a hen. The hens usually have large floppy combs like that.

3. K Spot

K Spot Songster

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    x2

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The pics don't enlarge when I click them, so I really can't see much, they're way too small. But, from what I can tell, they're both hens. Chickens mature at different rates just like humans. Walk down the hall of any middle school and look at the girls and you'll see what I mean.

5. Veer67

Veer67 Songster

They are Exchequer Leghorns, Leghorn hens do tend to get large and floppy combs so I would say hens. Closer pictures could help as well.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Crowing

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Agreed. They're both pullets, but you'll have to wait for eggs from the smaller-combed bird. The bird with the large comb will lay any day now.

7. Kiwiheather

Kiwiheather Chirping

Aug 20, 2011
    thanks so much..that's what I was hoping but they look SO different, it made me nervous!

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Crowing

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: