Two questions about hens not laying?

Lol it's ok!
1f604.png

Well hopefully you get your eggs, are you keeping these hens or culling? I no longer feed layer to my flock, I find it's not enough protein to support backyard hens. Layer is formulated to be fed as the only food, and most folks don't do that and their birds end up deficit. I switched last year because I wanted to feed a pellet and it only came in an all flock. I was surprised by the increase in production and on how quickly they molted and resumed laying after, I will never feed layer again. So it certainly is something to think about.

Our chickens eat layer pellets, occasionally with oyster shells. They also get lots of watermelon, potatoes, corn and other scraps. Plus what they find out free ranging in te woods.

The nest boxes are on the floor, yes.

We tried putting mustered and hot sauce in empty eggs, but apparently they like it. We have tried running out in the morning to get the eggs before they eat them, hanging black curtains, everything! This flock is just too far gone I think.

Switch from a layer to a higher protein feed, like an all flock or non medicated grower. All the extras they eat are diluting their total daily protein down, and 16% is the bare minimum they should eat in a day to support laying.

Add some higher protein treats like cottage cheese or scrambled eggs. Than move your nestboxes off the floor 2-3 feet is a more appropriate height, so they can't just look in and see an egg. That combined with ceramic or wooden eggs that can't be broken might fix your problems.
I agree 100%.

The label and feeding directions on most feed bags will have a statement to the effect, "This is a complete feed and no supplements are needed." That is because they formulated the feed to meet all the nutritional requirements of the age bird for which it was intended. As was said, 16% is the threshold for body maintenance and egg production. The other foodstuffs mentioned have little or no protein. Potatoes, corn and watermelon in equal amounts would have about 3% protein collectively. If scraps make up 1/3 of the diet and what they get from foraging is primarily greenery and seeds, that would effectively lower crude protein intake to 12%.
Vegetative sources of protein are also low in several essential amino acids like lysine and methionine.
I'd try some meat or fish treats in place of the corn and potatoes. The cheapest canned fish is canned mackerel and works great for a quick animal protein boost.

Well hopefully you get your eggs, are you keeping these hens or culling? I no longer feed layer to my flock, I find it's not enough protein to support backyard hens. Layer is formulated to be fed as the only food, and most folks don't do that and their birds end up deficit. I switched last year because I wanted to feed a pellet and it only came in an all flock. I was surprised by the increase in production and on how quickly they molted and resumed laying after, I will never feed layer again. So it certainly is something to think about.

I'm keeping them, but moving them to a different coop. Could you tell me what exact feed you use?

I feed Sprout, sold in the Midwest by Fleet Farm. It's the only brand they will eat, and to me smells pretty good. I feed their All Flock, and their non medicated chick grower to my bantams. I don't feed organic because many brands don't add any animal protein, which as ChickenCanoe says sometimes plant based products lacks proper proteins. Chickens are omnivores and crave protein. I tried Dumor once and found it to be not so good and my birds wouldn't eat it.

IMHO, freshness makes as much difference as specific brand. There are a lot of good manufacturers. It is a competitive business so they try to make an acceptable product at a cost that covers their margins.
I was getting Nature's Grown organics for a long time through a co-op. When that ended, I found it at a few different local stores. However, it was much more expensive and old.
Many stores don't move enough product to keep fresh feed on hand. Some of the Nature's Grown organic feed at the local Farm&Home was 2 years old. No way would I buy that at any cost.

I have fishmeal (60% protein) that I was mixing with 16% organic grower at a ratio of 1:10. That gave me 20% protein for chicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom