Two questions about Mareks

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
If a bird is showing symptoms of Mareks if you give them the vaccine could it help? If you had a bird that was showing symptoms of Mareks that was in with other young birds and the other young birds aren't showing any signs of Mareks if they start laying is it safe to eat their eggs?????

Thank you so much for the help,
Michelle

I'm not sure on the answer to your first question, but I think the answer is no. The vaccine helps the bird build immunity and become resistant before it is exposed to the disease. If given after the bird is exposed, it is relatively useless.

It is safe to eat the eggs of any bird with Marek's.

Can anyone else weigh in on this? I don't want to eat these eggs if it is gonna make us sick.

Thanks in advance,
Michelle

Are you sure about the egg thing? I am kind of scared to eat the eggs but, it seems like such a waste.
I've never read anything that says that you can't eat the eggs. Marek's Disease causes tumors/lesions in the birds body, but shouldn't affect the eggs.

I've never read anything that says that you can't eat the eggs. Marek's Disease causes tumors/lesions in the birds body, but shouldn't affect the eggs.
x2 It is fine for you to eat the eggs, even if your birds are infected--the Marek's virus does not affect (that I know of) humans.

Back
Top Bottom