Two questions about Mareks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dandydoodle, Dec 14, 2013.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    If a bird is showing symptoms of Mareks if you give them the vaccine could it help? If you had a bird that was showing symptoms of Mareks that was in with other young birds and the other young birds aren't showing any signs of Mareks if they start laying is it safe to eat their eggs?????

Thank you so much for the help,
    Michelle

2. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    anyone?

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure on the answer to your first question, but I think the answer is no. The vaccine helps the bird build immunity and become resistant before it is exposed to the disease. If given after the bird is exposed, it is relatively useless.

It is safe to eat the eggs of any bird with Marek's.

4. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Are you sure about the egg thing? I am kind of scared to eat the eggs but, it seems like such a waste.

5. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Can anyone else weigh in on this? I don't want to eat these eggs if it is gonna make us sick.

Thanks in advance,
    Michelle

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I've never read anything that says that you can't eat the eggs. Marek's Disease causes tumors/lesions in the birds body, but shouldn't affect the eggs.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2 It is fine for you to eat the eggs, even if your birds are infected--the Marek's virus does not affect (that I know of) humans.

8. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Yea that is my concern. I want to make sure the eggs won't hurt us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by