Two questions, five weeks after the birth

Photos aren't very clear. Need a clear photo of the head, including the comb and wattles, if that's ok. No pressure, just when you get the time.
I don't see much comb development at the moment, which is a good sign.

All right I will do that on Sunday when I will be back.
Also, I've an other question.
I will have to leave again in one week to keep a house 400 km away.
What's the best option ?
1- Take the 3 hens and the chick in a box with me (there is a quite big garden there)
2- Give the 4 animals to my neighbour. He already have 10 hens in his coop. I'm afraid that the other hens could be agressive with the newcomers especially with the little one.
Thanks

I don't think either is a great solution. 400km is quite a way for the birds. Is there a coop there?

If your neighbor has a separate pen for your birds it could work, but I don't suppose he does. I would be extremely worried about that young chick, and even about the hens a bit.

What are your hens like with the chick?
Have they been together?
What is your pen like? Could you leave the other adult hens behind, stocking up on food and water, and ask your neighbor to look after them? How long will you be gone?

Thanks again for all these details. All these things I couldn't guess!!
So, I'm right to be worried.
I will be out of the house for 8 nights (and my owner too). In the place I should keep, there is a big garden 400 square meters and it's in the city. So I could build a makeshift pen, I won't have to be worried about the foxes and the weasels in contrary to my place.

My neighbour haven't got a separe pen unfortunaltly.
The mum try to protect well the chick but she's a bit weak (non dominant), that's why the chick was attacked many times by the two other hens, but now it's fine because the chick can run fast and go quickly under his mum - you can see that on the video I put at the start.
I've got a quite big coop and during the day, I leave the hens on all the garden. Because my owner is angry against them (hole in the garden especially around the roses), I will build a permanent and cast iron pen in few weeks.

Maybe your neighbor could look after the older birds, and you take along the chick and it's mother?
I imagine the journey would be quite long. May need to stop and give them water a fair amount of times, and ensure the car doesn't get too hot.
I hope you can sort it out.

Hi there,
Now the baby chicken is 2 months old and I still have the same question, will it be a boy or a girl? Thanks for your help :)

Attachments

• chicken1.jpeg
    chicken1.jpeg
    370.5 KB · Views: 8
  • chicken2.jpeg
    chicken2.jpeg
    524.6 KB · Views: 8
:) Thanks again!!! Very happy! In few months, I could expect to get 4 eggs per day.
In the next days, I will move the chicken coop because the 3.5 chickens are devastating the garden of my landlord (who live with me). For less than 10 hens, there are no specific rules. But I not sure of the reaction of the neighbor because I would like my future pen to have a common boarder with her garden. Don't really know how to present it.
I'm curious to know the regulation in USA.

Hi there,
This is my first post and join this forum because I'm new in this hobby.
I start getting my first pullet four months ago. The day after she was gone by opening the wire mesh of the home made coop.
After fixing and consolidate the coop, I bought two hens because I understood that the hen was lonely. And finally the first hen came back.
I won't tell all the story but I have 3 hens. Two months ago, one was brooding with no egg under. My nice neighbour gave me a fertilized egg that I put under (indeed 3 eggs). Then 5 weeks ago, a cute baby chick is born. (an other one was killed by a jalous hen - my mistake)
I followed the first week with my camera (here is a YouTube link of a small video for those who could be interested:
).
Today, the mum still take car of the baby and everything is fine but I'm hurried to know what will happen soon.
Here is my 2 questions :
1- Is it possible to know the gender of a 5 weeks old chick?
2- When will the mum lay again? (because for the moment I only have 2 eggs per day, even less with the heat)

Thanks in advance for your answers. I hope I'm understandable because of my basic English.
Cheers everybody,
Goffeur
Cool story! Love the chook!
Glad it all worked out.
Just wondering, and this is old, but why did you get only one to start? They are completely and utterly flock animals.

Back
Top Bottom