Two questions on eggs...

Scooby308

Songster
7 Years
Jun 27, 2012
Kentucky
First, will a hen lay different size eggs? One of my NHRs laid, what I would call, a jumbo egg compared to what she's been laying.

Second, can a hen lay more than 1 egg in 24 hours? Same pair of NHRs. I gather eggs everyday around 5pm. Last night, 1 out of the pair. This morning, when I fed, both had laid an egg. So this evening when I gathered...3 eggs out of 2 hens. I have read that they average an egg every 25 hours. So, theoretically, one could have laid after I gathered last night and then laid another this afternoon. Anyway, it was a shock to open the nest box and see three eggs from two hens!

Generally the extra big eggs contain 2 yolks.

Some have said they have gotten 2 eggs a day from their chickens. The math on the process says it's impossible, but I continue to hear about it, so apparently it can happen.

I haven't cracked it yet, but it is at least half as large as the norm.

I think she had to lay it last night after 5pm and the second after 5pm today. Like I say, most of what I have read says 25 hers to cycle. Unless the roo in there is less of a roo than I thought. Lol

Generally the extra big eggs contain 2 yolks.

Some have said they have gotten 2 eggs a day from their chickens. The math on the process says it's impossible, but I continue to hear about it, so apparently it can happen.
It is rare but does happen. I had an Uncle that raised White Leghorns. He had one hen that laid an egg in the morning and an egg in the afternoon. Unfortunately he never figured out which hen it was and the extra daily egg stopped when he processed a batch of the hens.

I have on a couple of occasions had a White Leghorn lay an egg in the morning and another in the evening. The second egg was always soft shelled.

It is rare but does happen. I had an Uncle that raised White Leghorns. He had one hen that laid an egg in the morning and an egg in the afternoon. Unfortunately he never figured out which hen it was and the extra daily egg stopped when he processed a batch of the hens.

I bet he hated that. This is the first it has happened. The hen(s) in question are year old NHRs .should it continue, they will be separated so I can determine and try to collect her eggs to incubate. Wouldn't that be a great genetic by product to have?

A “fart egg” is an egg with no yolk. It may sometimes contain a bit of reproductive tissue instead. They are also called wind eggs, fairy eggs, or cock eggs.... seems like there’s another synonym too.....

Since there’s no yolk, they will be smaller than usual.

Thanks, now I have to eat eggs for supper tomorrow to check, lol.

Back
Top Bottom