1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two Questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The Red Rooster, Sep 13, 2011.

1. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

I have a hen (I think) that was picking on one of my chickens, and did the wing dance around it.
    Is that norm?

Question #2. I have a hen that went broody. I can't find her nest, and its getting cold. Will she be ok?
    I'm worried for her eggs to stay warm.

2. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    # 2. ikn

1, i think

and God Bless

3. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Thanks! Anyone else have any more info?

4. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

1. Are your absolutely sure that your dancing chicken is a hen?
    2. Do you see your broody about & just can't find her nest but b/c you see the hen & know she's alive & well? If so, you could try and follow her back to her nest. As for the falling temps, she should be okay, and if she's broody, she'll be setting on those eggs and keeping them warm, so they should be okay, but if she comes back with chicks, you may want to round 'em up & bring them into a warm cellar or garage. How long has she been broody? If it's close to 21 days, she should be parading back into your chicken yard with chicks relatively soon.

5. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    more than likely if its doing the wing dance it is a rooster. i was supposed to have 6 hens but 3 of them ended up being roosters. the hens never done the wing dance. the roosters did.[​IMG]

6. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
    Yeah. Dancing-chicken is a rooster-thing. He's romancing the ladies.

The eggs should be fine under the broody regardless of the temperatures, but I would follow her to the nest so I could her and the eggs to safety. Nothing is as easy pickin's for a predator than a broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by