Two Questions

The Red Rooster

Poultry Observer
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
Rapid City, South Dakota
I have a hen (I think) that was picking on one of my chickens, and did the wing dance around it.
Is that norm?

Question #2. I have a hen that went broody. I can't find her nest, and its getting cold. Will she be ok?
I'm worried for her eggs to stay warm.

1. Are your absolutely sure that your dancing chicken is a hen?
2. Do you see your broody about & just can't find her nest but b/c you see the hen & know she's alive & well? If so, you could try and follow her back to her nest. As for the falling temps, she should be okay, and if she's broody, she'll be setting on those eggs and keeping them warm, so they should be okay, but if she comes back with chicks, you may want to round 'em up & bring them into a warm cellar or garage. How long has she been broody? If it's close to 21 days, she should be parading back into your chicken yard with chicks relatively soon.

more than likely if its doing the wing dance it is a rooster. i was supposed to have 6 hens but 3 of them ended up being roosters. the hens never done the wing dance. the roosters did.
yippiechickie.gif

Yeah. Dancing-chicken is a rooster-thing. He's romancing the ladies.

The eggs should be fine under the broody regardless of the temperatures, but I would follow her to the nest so I could her and the eggs to safety. Nothing is as easy pickin's for a predator than a broody.

Back
Top Bottom