Two roos? What breeds?

bellcole

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2021
I got 6 chicks (supposed to be pullets - ha!) in March and moved them into the outdoor pen in June before we went on a 4 week vacation. The first morning back, we heard a feeble rooster call (I already have one rooster already, and it wasn't him!) I haven't been able to catch him in the act to see who he is, but now I think I may have TWO roosters out of this bunch.

Here are their photos. They were supposed to be Ameraucanas. Are they? I would guess one is a wheaten or blue splash wheaten, and the other is a splash wheaten. Would appreciate confirmation of any of these. And if both are roosters, and I have a much older Australorp rooster, what would you recommend doing to integrate the flocks (i.e. who would you keep)? I have 4 other young pullets, plus 4 older hens, only one of which is laying. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• 20210723_152203.jpg
    20210723_152203.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210723_152246.jpg
    20210723_152246.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210723_152024.jpg
    20210723_152024.jpg
    516.7 KB · Views: 12
Figures they would be mutts. My two dogs are highly mixed breeds as well.

I know I can't keep all three roosters; my original intent - when I thought I was adding 6 hens, was to just keep the old rooster. Now I'm wondering, based on what breeds these new guys are, if I should keep one and get rid of the other one and the old guy. He is about 3 years old (an australorp) and is very big, but reasonably docile (see picture). He has deformed feet, though, which along with his weight, prevents him from jumping onto the roost at night. He has been sleeping on the floor at night (and getting pooped on...) Hasn't prevented him from mating, though. And he seems to scare away any other bird predators, which is why I'd like to keep one rooster. Just not sure which one.... I do NOT want a nasty rooster - had one years ago and it was a real pain! FYI, I don't handle them daily. Or even weekly. Just whenever I have to move them or clip them. And then I use towels!

Attachments

• 20210723_152726.jpg
    20210723_152726.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 13
Figures they would be mutts. My two dogs are highly mixed breeds as well.

I know I can't keep all three roosters; my original intent - when I thought I was adding 6 hens, was to just keep the old rooster. Now I'm wondering, based on what breeds these new guys are, if I should keep one and get rid of the other one and the old guy. He is about 3 years old (an australorp) and is very big, but reasonably docile (see picture). He has deformed feet, though, which along with his weight, prevents him from jumping onto the roost at night. He has been sleeping on the floor at night (and getting pooped on...) Hasn't prevented him from mating, though. And he seems to scare away any other bird predators, which is why I'd like to keep one rooster. Just not sure which one.... I do NOT want a nasty rooster - had one years ago and it was a real pain! FYI, I don't handle them daily. Or even weekly. Just whenever I have to move them or clip them. And then I use towels!
I always recommend to keep a rooster for at least 1 year to determine if its a nice or mean rooster. Some change really early, some change later. Roosters are known to suddenly change personalities over night.

I always recommend to keep a rooster for at least 1 year to determine if its a nice or mean rooster. Some change really early, some change later. Roosters are known to suddenly change personalities over night.
Sounds like good advice, but that would mean I'd have to keep two flocks of birds in order to keep the boys separate (and would have to get rid of one now.) My old guy is a pretty nice rooster, but I worry about his feet - when he mounts the girls he kind of tears them up. At this point, he only has one laying hen in his flock, and he seems to have settled down. I don't know how he will deal with the new girls once they are incorporated into his flock and start laying.

I'm starting to lean towards getting rid of the new boys altogether (assuming I can find someone to take them.) That way I reduce the number of variables, even though so far they have been pretty nice little boys. And they are so pretty!

Back
Top Bottom