Two roos??

i had a full grown roo, introduced some 5 week old hens and 1 roo. they did o.k.... its been a year, the younger 1 gets chased off a few times a day, but nothing major... so yes in my experience younger works fine...

I had three BO roosters, two are sweethearts who refuse to be separated (i adore them) and the other is soup.

Quote:
If the youngster is 3 months or younger, things will be fine. The older guy will dominate and the younger will recognize the older as superior. Probably will be some rubs as the younger starts feeling his cherios and might lead to a regime change at some point. But that`s just chickens.........Pop

Quote:
X2 Good luck
fl.gif

Quote:
Funny you should ask...
I have two roos....4 wks. apart in age (6 and 7 months). The English Orp roo is the oldest...the Jersey giant slightly younger. One fat...one tall. Raised together in the same coop along with 9 pullets. I wanted the two roos for breeding. Last night after I shut them up....there was a loud RUCKUS , including one chicken bouncing off the coop window. I rushed in and the Orp roo was all over the jersey roo and didn't stop even when I was there! I ended up picking up the jersey and putting into a separate coop. Alone. Early this morning I took him out and put him into the run within the fenced yard. Let the rest of the flock out and the Orp roo immediately was all over the jersey roo. So I opened up the run and the people sized door to coop....since then at least 3 times I have seen the jersey running for his life with the orp fast on his heels. Does not look good. So much for chick bonding....there was peace for 7 months and now...fight to death I think, if allowed.

Quote:
Funny you should ask...
I have two roos....4 wks. apart in age (6 and 7 months). The English Orp roo is the oldest...the Jersey giant slightly younger. One fat...one tall. Raised together in the same coop along with 9 pullets. I wanted the two roos for breeding. Last night after I shut them up....there was a loud RUCKUS , including one chicken bouncing off the coop window. I rushed in and the Orp roo was all over the jersey roo and didn't stop even when I was there! I ended up picking up the jersey and putting into a separate coop. Alone. Early this morning I took him out and put him into the run within the fenced yard. Let the rest of the flock out and the Orp roo immediately was all over the jersey roo. So I opened up the run and the people sized door to coop....since then at least 3 times I have seen the jersey running for his life with the orp fast on his heels. Does not look good. So much for chick bonding....there was peace for 7 months and now...fight to death I think, if allowed.

That makes me very sad
sad.png
I guess I will try introducing the new roo as soon as he is old enough and pray for the best. If things get rough I can always make the chicken tractor his home with his two beautiful hens. Thanks everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom