Two roosters ….how to choose?

If you are nervous, best to move them both on. Being confident out there is best, and birds can read body language pretty well. Be calm, walk 'through' everyone, not around them, talk quietly, and enjoy your flock!
Raising cockerels next year, in flock with hens, not only pullets, will work better. Or, get someone's nice rooster who is extra from another flock. Doing that is a health risk for your birds, but might work out well.
Mary

Thank you, Mrs. K. I think this was just the help I needed to make the decision. We are new, and I’m still a bit nervous, with the roosters especially, after reading (too much). I think we will all enjoy our little flock more right now, without the worry, and then with time, and more experience, can choose to add a rooster, or not. It’s still hard to let them go, when you’ve raised them from day old chicks. 😢. But, thank you for your wise advice.
I am right there with you. We bought 10 sexed pullets - 8 turned out to be boys. We were trying to figure out how to keep prince - the most rooster-y, but very sweet, among them. But we weren't prepared for a rooster so all 8, along with an Amerecauna I dearly love will be picked up any time now to go to a farm down the street that has 80 hens and only 3 boys. I'm sure they will be happy there. However, it doesn't make it easier. @Mrs. K was very helpful in making that decision

If you are nervous, best to move them both on. Being confident out there is best, and birds can read body language pretty well. Be calm, walk 'through' everyone, not around them, talk quietly, and enjoy your flock!
Raising cockerels next year, in flock with hens, not only pullets, will work better. Or, get someone's nice rooster who is extra from another flock. Doing that is a health risk for your birds, but might work out well.
Mary
Sound advise!

Back
Top Bottom