Two roosters ….how to choose?

MomvdH

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2023
Central Kentucky
I know no one can make the decision for me, but out of 8 chicks, we ended up with 4 roosters. Two have been rehomed, and we now need to decide which of the remaining two to keep, if any at all. We cant free range, so don’t really need a rooster for protection. They are 17 weeks old. One is a large black marans of some sort (maybe mystic). He is pretty sweet, but I’m definitely still wary of him. He acts very guard like. Crows lots, marches the front of the run. The other is a small something…probably Easter eager mix. He has not crowed, has no wattles, but does have glossy saddle feathers, and a curl to his tail. I think he’s intimaidated by the large marans. Today we saw the first attack (looked like an attack) of the big on the small…who knows, maybe it happens all the time and we never see it, but it made me realize we probably need to decide soon what to do. I’d love any thoughts or input on how in the world to decide who to keep. We also have 2 small silkies in our flock that we worried about the big marans hurting while mating, but I don’t know if that’s a factor to consider. I’ll attach pictures of the two. The truth is, we really like the marans best, but think he’s probably the one that needs to go. IMG_1003.jpeg Resized_20230628_093757.jpeg

Is that your only coop in the background?
Not really big enough for 6 females and 1 male.

Why do you want to keep a male?
No, we have a pretty large hoop coop for their run, attached to this coop.

I never wanted a male. No reason to have one, really, we just got attached to all the chickens, that’s all.

He is pretty sweet, but I’m definitely still wary of him. He acts very guard like. Crows lots, marches the front of the run.
A rooster acting guard-like is a plus in my opinion, unless he is attacking of course.

The other is a small something…probably Easter eager mix. He has not crowed, has no wattles, but does have glossy saddle feathers, and a curl to his tail. I think he’s intimaidated by the large marans.
Easter Eggers are mixes, and all chickens have wattles, the beard and muffs only hides them.

We also have 2 small silkies in our flock that we worried about the big marans hurting while mating, but I don’t know if that’s a factor to consider.
Injuring a hen while breeding is one of the biggest factors to consider here. With that in mind, I would definitely choose you to keep the Easter Egger instead of the Marans for that reason.

Chickens are a lot of fun, and can be a life long hobby, they have for me. You are just getting started and have years to do this hobby. Go with an all hen flock the first year, let both roosters go. An all hen flock is lovely to start out with.

Roosters take a lot of experience, and a lot of space. And a lot of them are rotten. Wait a year or to to take one on.

Mrs K

You won't know how your little cockerel will behave until the big guy is removed. Either might turn out fine, or not, too soon to be sure. And having only pullets this year would be fine anyway!
We love having roosters, and have had awful ones, and have learned to only keep well behaved individuals. Both of your cockerels are cute, but they can't both stay, it's too small a space, and too few pullets.
Will you want to raise their chicks? If not, I'd try the smaller bird, if only because he will eat less!
'Patrolling' the fence is fine, as long as he's not giving you that look that it takes experience to recognize as potentially aggressive. He should be paying attention to his flockmates, not you!
Mary

Chickens are a lot of fun, and can be a life long hobby, they have for me. You are just getting started and have years to do this hobby. Go with an all hen flock the first year, let both roosters go. An all hen flock is lovely to start out with.

Roosters take a lot of experience, and a lot of space. And a lot of them are rotten. Wait a year or to to take one on.

Mrs K
Thank you, Mrs. K. I think this was just the help I needed to make the decision. We are new, and I’m still a bit nervous, with the roosters especially, after reading (too much). I think we will all enjoy our little flock more right now, without the worry, and then with time, and more experience, can choose to add a rooster, or not. It’s still hard to let them go, when you’ve raised them from day old chicks. 😢. But, thank you for your wise advice.

You won't know how your little cockerel will behave until the big guy is removed. Either might turn out fine, or not, too soon to be sure. And having only pullets this year would be fine anyway!
We love having roosters, and have had awful ones, and have learned to only keep well behaved individuals. Both of your cockerels are cute, but they can't both stay, it's too small a space, and too few pullets.
Will you want to raise their chicks? If not, I'd try the smaller bird, if only because he will eat less!
'Patrolling' the fence is fine, as long as he's not giving you that look that it takes experience to recognize as potentially aggressive. He should be paying attention to his flockmates, not you!
Mary
I wish I could show you his “look” Mary, and have you tell me what you think. I hope I can grow with experience. They all still make me just a bit nervous.

Back
Top Bottom