Two roosters, 7 chickens, too many eggs to use

daswindkind

Chirping
Feb 21, 2021
So it's been a while since I've been here. Tried a second incubator run, only one survived. Little magnolia. Eventually passed from a heart attack from a bird of prey. Finally threw that shit incubator out.

Now I realized, the two silkie chicks I got got for that one (only one hatched yet again.. ), one of them is a rooster too.

Now I have two roosters and 7 chickens. Of course the chickens look terrible.

They haven't fought once to be honest. They're just existing next to each other.. And I'm not sure I want to get rid of one, since they get along, take on different roles and behaviours..

Just that one is a pushover and doesn't care if they pick at his feathers.

Got some saddles to protect the girls.. We've got more toys now and a bigger field to help with the feather picking.. (Bird flu warnings don't really help..)

Just that I know this won't work. I know I need to get rid of one, or at least get a bigger flock. Might get some chabo chicks from a friend for example.. I'd also love to take in some older former laying chickens in my area..

Because that's the one thing.. I'd definitely be down for more chickens. I'd love some chabos and give them the silkie rooster that's damn attentive to big birds for example.

Just that I have no idea what to do with the eggs at this point.

How would you manage my damn flock and do better?

For your two roosters, you may need 10-15 hens for the both of them. You may still have a few girls with bare backs being favorites and will need to keep wearing the saddles.

If you are worried about excessive eggs, you can always sell them (if it is legal). Or you can give them away to friends, family, neighbors, etc.

Or you can become a baker/cook.

For almost that exact same situation, my answer was increase flock size so I could keep two well behaved and well adjusted roosters.

I don’t know where you live, but here, it’s easy to sell eggs. Local feed stores will sometimes sell them for you for a small price. My kids school bus driver actually buys all of our excess. And you local feed store may let you put a piece of paper up with your name and number and eggs for whatever price. I sell them to the bus driver for less than what they would go for at a market, but he’s my only customer so I’m not cheating anyone else out of money.

But also because we get so many, we cook an egg or two and give it to the dog every day, we feed them back to the chickens, we’ve found more recipes for eggs, and I intend on curing egg yolks very soon. Haven’t tried it yet but heard awesome things. There’s a lot you can do with eggs if it’s worth it to you.

I give four to my dogs, with their morning and dinner meals. I eat some too, give them off to friends weekly.. Its just.. So, so many eggs.

Especially if I consider getting more hens. And I'd love to. I can fit some more, I also have the wood to build other barns.

My silkie is broody again and I could just get some tomorrow..

Currently, I'm also not allowed to sell them. We're in bird flu country basically.. Can't sell them sadly, hah.

I give four to my dogs, with their morning and dinner meals. I eat some too, give them off to friends weekly.. Its just.. So, so many eggs.

Especially if I consider getting more hens. And I'd love to. I can fit some more, I also have the wood to build other barns.

My silkie is broody again and I could just get some tomorrow..

Currently, I'm also not allowed to sell them. We're in bird flu country basically.. Can't sell them sadly, hah.
If you hatch your own chicks, you may end up with even more roosters. Maybe get some ex battery birds?

Well the question you need to ask yourself is…

Is the extra feed, maintenance, etcetera less appealing than rehoming a rooster?

Now, giving the eggs right back to the chickens will absolutely cut down on feed too. I get several dozen quail eggs from my father-in-law. I float them all but always end up with a lot of questionables. I put them in the blender, shell and all, and cook them use as a giant scrambled egg. My chickens will tear through 3 dozen cooked eggs in minutes. And it’s AWESOME for them.

If you hatch your own chicks, you may end up with even more roosters. Maybe get some ex battery birds?

That's Was definitely one of my plans. A friend of mine is on the lookout. Would love to give some an end of day pasture. That would truly work out perfectly..

Well the question you need to ask yourself is…

Is the extra feed, maintenance, etcetera less appealing than rehoming a rooster?

Now, giving the eggs right back to the chickens will absolutely cut down on feed too. I get several dozen quail eggs from my father-in-law. I float them all but always end up with a lot of questionables. I put them in the blender, shell and all, and cook them use as a giant scrambled egg. My chickens will tear through 3 dozen cooked eggs in minutes. And it’s AWESOME for them.

That's such a smarter way to use the eggs. I just cook them all, throw them through a nicer dicer with their shells and then feed them then. But a blender would be so much smarter so they get the shells back in. Thank you! I can't believe I didn't think of that..

Eta: extra feed and space isn't that much of a worry for me.. I do enjoy just watching them, even if they just exist? They're sweet and adorable and as if my dogs do more for their food.

Is there any way I can help my few hens with their feathers? Besides saddles, herbs and extra vitamins? For the rooster for example? He is wearing a saddle himself right now, hah.

Last edited:
BE AWARE when using a blender. IT FROTHS them to some extent. Do not fill the blender with eggs or it will overflow. Do half a blender at a time. Plus it’s hard to cook 1 or 2 quarts of egg in one pan.

With the feathers, saddles are the only things that have helped my two favorite hens. Poor things went bald and got sunburnt. Favorite will be favorite, but more hens will help with that.

I would put my roosters into a rooster-only flock so I wouldn’t have to get more hens. However, you could also try finding some hens that are too old to lay to add to your flock. If you can’t find another use for the eggs, feeding them back to the chickens is a good option.

If you want to cook a dozen eggs at a time ...

Set your oven to 350F. Scramble them or, as stated above, run them, shell and all, through the blender. For either dogs or chickens, you can add a little nutritional yeast for B vitamins and /or coconut oil (great for arthritis for older dogs!). No salt, though!

Pour into a flat, lipped baking pan (may spray with cooking spray) and bake for 20 minutes or so till set. Let cool in pan. (I cut into squares and freeze, layering with parchment paper, and give a portion a day to my dog.) You may also scrape with a spatula a few times during baking for more of a "scrambled" texture.

Back
Top Bottom