Two roosters - will I have problems?

photo chick

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Essex, VT
I have had two roosters and it's been great. But....they just hit puberty! So far there doesn't seem to be any fighting but one of the roosters stays inside the run and refuses to come out. The other "herds" his girls outside in the run. What can I expect in the future? We currently only have 4 hens since we had a predator last fall. Do you think if I get more hens there will be more to go around and the 2nd rooster will not feel so intimidated?

My recommendation is to add a few hens so the two roosters don't "over-mate" them.

I have a LOT of chickens and four roosters in the flock. Not only do the the Roos get along, but sometimes my dominant rooster will perch on a special "hitching post" bar I had built for the flock, and ONE of his sergeants is allowed to perch there with him. They use it to sun themselves, to view the yard and the flock, and to stand higher to crow. Several ladies also get up there, and if Roos are there with them they will groom him/them.

My recommendation is to add a few hens so the two roosters don't "over-mate" them.

I have a LOT of chickens and four roosters in the flock. Not only do the the Roos get along, but sometimes my dominant rooster will perch on a special "hitching post" bar I had built for the flock, and ONE of his sergeants is allowed to perch there with him. They use it to sun themselves, to view the yard and the flock, and to stand higher to crow. Several ladies also get up there, and if Roos are there with them they will groom him/them.

Totally agree with Linda. I always recommend you keep as few roosters as you can and still meet your goals, but you are not guaranteed problems by having multiple roosters. It's just the more roosters you have the more likely you are to have problems.

I also often have multiple roosters. None have ever killed or seriously injured another. It can happen but it is certainly not guaranteed.

I think you should get more hens. Those boys are going to have the girls pretty ragged this spring. Or get rid of one of the roosters. The beta roo will probably always be the beta roo, and that's okay cause someone's gotta be the low guy. But when spring comes and the hormones hit harder you might be looking at some fighting.

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't planning on having roosters - it's just the outcome of a a few chicks I picked up from a local chicken farmer. He warned me! I'm in the process of looking for some pullets or young laying hens to add to our flock. I love the idea of a hitching post that they can both sit on! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom