Two separate flocks

junkman56

Songster
7 Years
Sep 7, 2016
Northwestern PA. ( Tionesta )
My Coop
My Coop
I currently have a flock of approximately 42 mixed hens in our coop right now.
I want to get approximately 25 new chicks, and keep them in a separate area of our barn to roost , nest, and feed.
My question is,
If I keep them separated like that, will I be asking for trouble when I let them all out to free range in the morning?

I used to have three different flock's, 1 bantam flock, 2 standard flocks. The roosters would occasionally fight if near each other for each other's hens sometimes, and the bantams would sometimes attack the standards and take a few hostages, and an occasional hen had some type of beaf with another hen of a separate flock, but other than that, they were fine. There was usually no trouble, especially if it was just the standards free ranging. They had their areas and stuck to them. Nalla was known to grawl at Neisha from the other flock, for whatever reason those two didn't like each other. Even with the roosters, they stuck to their flocks for the most part. They should be fine all free ranging together. :thumbsup

I currently have a flock of approximately 42 mixed hens in our coop right now.
I want to get approximately 25 new chicks, and keep them in a separate area of our barn to roost , nest, and feed.
My question is,
If I keep them separated like that, will I be asking for trouble when I let them all out to free range in the morning?
How old will the chicks be when you let them out to free range? If you are brooding them, where is the brooder and can the adults see them while they are in the brooder? A better idea of what you are working with could help.

My brooder is in the coop. The chicks go there straight from the incubator or post office so the chicks are essentially raised with the flock. At five weeks I open the brooder door and integration is over. I have a relatively large coop for the number of chickens I have, over 3,000 square feet of room outside, and weather they can be outside all day every day. I have several widely scattered feeding and watering stations.

What do you consider trouble? You never know what will happen with living animals but usually with true "free range" room and just a few basics it's usually not a problem as far as the older ones trying to kill the younger. It can happen, you don't get guarantees.

keep them in a separate area of our barn to roost , nest, and feed.

This is where it could be fun. If you keep them locked in that other area in the barn for a while they will probably return there to sleep, at least initially. Eventually some or all may move in with the adults to sleep, but probably not for a while. Or they may always sleep apart. Any group could eat anywhere if they have access. Your young pullets might lay in the nests where you are trying to keep them or they may lay where the older hens are laying. Once you let them out where they all have access to everything you have lost control. They are going to do what they want to do, both young and old.

How old will the chicks be when you let them out to free range? If you are brooding them, where is the brooder and can the adults see them while they are in the brooder? A better idea of what you are working with could help.

My brooder is in the coop. The chicks go there straight from the incubator or post office so the chicks are essentially raised with the flock. At five weeks I open the brooder door and integration is over. I have a relatively large coop for the number of chickens I have, over 3,000 square feet of room outside, and weather they can be outside all day every day. I have several widely scattered feeding and watering stations.

What do you consider trouble? You never know what will happen with living animals but usually with true "free range" room and just a few basics it's usually not a problem as far as the older ones trying to kill the younger. It can happen, you don't get guarantees.

keep them in a separate area of our barn to roost , nest, and feed.

This is where it could be fun. If you keep them locked in that other area in the barn for a while they will probably return there to sleep, at least initially. Eventually some or all may move in with the adults to sleep, but probably not for a while. Or they may always sleep apart. Any group could eat anywhere if they have access. Your young pullets might lay in the nests where you are trying to keep them or they may lay where the older hens are laying. Once you let them out where they all have access to everything you have lost control. They are going to do what they want to do, both young and old.
I thought I would keep them in the barn until they feathered out, around 5 weeks, then I figured on letting them out to free range, I'm thinking by 5 weeks they should pretty much know where to go for the night.
But trying this is all new to me.
I have always put young chicks from brooder to coop behind a screened area away from the older ones, for a few weeks then let them go out on their own.

Back
Top Bottom