Two sick chicks.

My Bagurks

Songster
Sep 3, 2020
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Hi.
I went down to feed and water the flock and noticed two of my chicks (7 weeks old) have some issues going on in there face.

The first has a swollen eye and looked like it got a cut or bitten by something. Maybe even stung by something. I saw a scab starting to form, but her eye is swollen and the eye itself is covered in a clear fluid(tears I hope). I figured I could apply a topical ointment of some kind like Neosporin and hopefully clear it up.

The second is a little more alarming. The picture isn’t the best quality and I will try for a better one before the sun goes down. But it looks like her comb/beak didn’t form correctly. Where the beak meats the comb, is enlarged to the side. That same side of her head seems to have some kind of infection?

So far, all of the chickens I have raised have been happy and healthy with no issues whatsoever. Both chicks are acting completely normal. I watched them both run around, eat, and drink. Please let me know what you think and I will get a better picture of the second up soon.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 2EBDFF53-FD6C-4315-AE32-7C6DA38061DE.jpeg
    2EBDFF53-FD6C-4315-AE32-7C6DA38061DE.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 8
  • C948D299-D965-4F26-A05E-F1357D1E76A8.jpeg
    C948D299-D965-4F26-A05E-F1357D1E76A8.jpeg
    547.9 KB · Views: 8
Did you notice any smell from their nose area?

This looks like an infection to me, maybe Coryza or MG. The second chick has her nares clogged up and you should carefully clean them up so it will be able to breathe correctly.

I sidnt

This looks like an infection to me, maybe Coryza or MG. The second chick has her nares clogged up and you should carefully clean them up so it will be able to breathe corre

This looks like an infection to me, maybe Coryza or MG. The second chick has her nares clogged up and you should carefully clean them up so it will be able to breathe correctly.
I didn’t notice any smell coming from either of them. Sorry for the stupid question, but what is MG?

Their eyes need to be flushed with saline water several times a day and in case you notice an odd smell which hints to Coryza they need some antibiotic eye ointment applied several times a day too.

Back
Top Bottom