Two silkie Questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ericsgirlie, Jul 9, 2011.

1. ericsgirlie

ericsgirlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    First.. We just got them yesterday. They are 4 days old today. All are doing well but one. Is it ok to handle them a little?

Two.... When it is time to transition outside, can they go with the big chickens? If not... when?

Thank you so much [​IMG]

2. angusshangus

angusshangus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Verona, NJ
    I'm curious to hear a response to this as well!

3. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    Quote:it is okay to handle but not a lot. i wait until they are about 4 months old to put them out side. but i have 90 chickens to keep up with all of them.

4. silkie101

silkie101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Plantcity Florida
    Quote:yes its fine to handle them if the start to shake put them back
    and they should be atleast 4weeks old before they can go outside
    i got mine yester day too i got two 2 month olds and 5 10 day olds from a breeder and there silkies [​IMG]

5. ericsgirlie

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    Can they go with the big chickens at 4 weeks? Our 3 hens, are free range of the back yard and we lock them in the playhouse at night. We have a small chicken wire coop under the swingset they could start out in for day time. It is where we keep our rehabs, but we only have a single baby bunny now, which will be relased in the next couple of weeks.

Congratulations on your Silkies [​IMG] I love them little but cannot wait to see them grow [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  6. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Yes you can pick them up. They are very easy to tame. I'd wait a month or two before putting them outside and I wouldn't put them with other chickens unless they are bantams. Mine do well with bantam cochins.[​IMG]

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Handle them from day one if you can - just for a few minutes at a time at first.
    Will they be going out with LF or bantams? If bantams, then I'd put them out when they are at least getting close in size to the others. If large fowl, then I'd be very careful and watchful, and I'd keep them apart quite a bit longer... Silkies are generally very submissive/low on the pecking order. And with their small size, I'd give ample time for the big chickens to get use to them (maybe with a divider in the run once they are old enough to go outside all day).

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  8. ericsgirlie

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    They are full sized hens. I think they are young because we have had them 3 weeks and only one shell-less egg [​IMG]. We took one to show them and held it and they seemed disinterested.

9. oconnorfamily25

oconnorfamily25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Silkies? Do not put them out with full-sized chickens, unless you have a very protective rooster who will lay down the law.
    [​IMG] Good luck with yours!

10. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    i have a silkie who is out with full size hens. it helped because I had a broody bantum and she raised it. So mama protected it from the begining. no mama ignores it and the others do too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by