1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two silky roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by skrlis, Oct 7, 2014.

1. skrlis

skrlis Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2014
    I recently bought some hens at auction and the two below seem to be silky roosters. Any opinions? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both of them look like hens to me. However, they are not purebred Silkies, since they don't have Silkie feathering or the right type of comb. They're probably Silkie mixes.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking hens on both. But, they are Silkie mixes, instead of pure Silkies.

4. skrlis

skrlis Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2014
    Thanks for the input! I figured they were mixes or some sort, I wish I knew what but they're all sweet and friendly. Blended in perfect with the rest

5. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    Definately not full breed silkies (I just got a mix too though, I just took her work on a chick, got home and was like umm NO).. Mine is supposed to be a polish mix. From the tophat thing yours has going on I might look that way for the black one... the white one doesn't seem to have much of a silkie poof.. it has a faux hawk LOL so I'd look at breeds without to much extra hair there...

6. bantambury

bantambury life does go on.

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    they seem to be hens to me, and ARE in fact silkies. they look like smooth feathered clean legged silkies. not the standard type of silkie, but still very unique and beautiful!

7. nayeli

Jan 18, 2014
    Isn't that a DQ on silkies though? I posted in this section too. Can you check out my birds and tell me your thoughts?

8. bantambury

bantambury life does go on.

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    yes because its smooth...I don't think the APA recognizes clean legged silkies but I could be wrong....I only knew of bearded and non bearded recognized. sure ill check out your birds :) ill PM you if you want too

9. nayeli

Jan 18, 2014
    I w
    I was just always told that if a silkie has smooth feathers its a mutt.

10. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They are mixes. A silkie x silkie can only result in silkied offspring. Any bird with non-silked feathering and/or are clean legged are a DQ.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by