Two silky roos?

skrlis

Songster
May 27, 2014
I recently bought some hens at auction and the two below seem to be silky roosters. Any opinions?

Both of them look like hens to me. However, they are not purebred Silkies, since they don't have Silkie feathering or the right type of comb. They're probably Silkie mixes.

Thanks for the input! I figured they were mixes or some sort, I wish I knew what but they're all sweet and friendly. Blended in perfect with the rest

Definately not full breed silkies (I just got a mix too though, I just took her work on a chick, got home and was like umm NO).. Mine is supposed to be a polish mix. From the tophat thing yours has going on I might look that way for the black one... the white one doesn't seem to have much of a silkie poof.. it has a faux hawk LOL so I'd look at breeds without to much extra hair there...

they seem to be hens to me, and ARE in fact silkies. they look like smooth feathered clean legged silkies. not the standard type of silkie, but still very unique and beautiful!

they seem to be hens to me, and ARE in fact silkies. they look like smooth feathered clean legged silkies. not the standard type of silkie, but still very unique and beautiful!
Isn't that a DQ on silkies though? I posted in this section too. Can you check out my birds and tell me your thoughts?

Isn't that a DQ on silkies though? I posted in this section too. Can you check out my birds and tell me your thoughts?

yes because its smooth...I don't think the APA recognizes clean legged silkies but I could be wrong....I only knew of bearded and non bearded recognized. sure ill check out your birds :) ill PM you if you want too

I w
yes because its smooth...I don't think the APA recognizes clean legged silkies but I could be wrong....I only knew of bearded and non bearded recognized. sure ill check out your birds :) ill PM you if you want too

I was just always told that if a silkie has smooth feathers its a mutt.

They are mixes. A silkie x silkie can only result in silkied offspring. Any bird with non-silked feathering and/or are clean legged are a DQ.

Back
Top Bottom