Two soft eggs today. wth?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by littleflocker, Dec 2, 2011.

1. littleflocker

littleflocker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Island County WA
    I have 7 hens 6 of which have started laying recently. I have only had two soft eggs yet and they were dropped from the roost at night a few weeks ago. The ones I found today were in the yard and were laid during the day. One had a super soft shell and the other was like no shell at all. I give the girls oyster shell, diatomacous earth in their food and the light comes on in the morning so they have 16 hours of daylight. I guess they are still growing and that probably takes away from their egg production. Maybe the horny rooster is stressful? our little cochins bantam rooster is in need of a new home i know that. Any suggestions?

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    It takes a while for the pullets' system to figure out how to make an egg. That's usually when you find double yolks, shell-less eggs, etc. I fortunately only got one shell-less egg last time, but it happens. Patience.

3. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:They are working out the kinks in the egg laying equipment and sometimes quality control takes the day off. It should straighten out pretty quick.

4. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    i wouldn't worry about it. As long as they have enough calcium and your feeding them layer food then it should be fine. why do u add diatomaceous earth to their food?

5. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I got a few of those too, but right at same time as double yolkers. I think they are cool but not if consistent. Good luck,I think they will even out. The day off for quali control seems about right.

6. RetiredArmyWife

RetiredArmyWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2011
    Marlow, Oklahoma
    Quote:Food grade D.E is supposed to help keep worms away. Some people say it doesnt work after it passes through the gullet. I use it because I think it helps, but even if it doesn't help it can't hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by