Two soft eggs today. wth?

littleflocker

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 7, 2011
Island County WA
I have 7 hens 6 of which have started laying recently. I have only had two soft eggs yet and they were dropped from the roost at night a few weeks ago. The ones I found today were in the yard and were laid during the day. One had a super soft shell and the other was like no shell at all. I give the girls oyster shell, diatomacous earth in their food and the light comes on in the morning so they have 16 hours of daylight. I guess they are still growing and that probably takes away from their egg production. Maybe the horny rooster is stressful? our little cochins bantam rooster is in need of a new home i know that. Any suggestions?

It takes a while for the pullets' system to figure out how to make an egg. That's usually when you find double yolks, shell-less eggs, etc. I fortunately only got one shell-less egg last time, but it happens. Patience.

Quote:
They are working out the kinks in the egg laying equipment and sometimes quality control takes the day off. It should straighten out pretty quick.

i wouldn't worry about it. As long as they have enough calcium and your feeding them layer food then it should be fine. why do u add diatomaceous earth to their food?

I got a few of those too, but right at same time as double yolkers. I think they are cool but not if consistent. Good luck,I think they will even out. The day off for quali control seems about right.

Quote:
Food grade D.E is supposed to help keep worms away. Some people say it doesnt work after it passes through the gullet. I use it because I think it helps, but even if it doesn't help it can't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom