Two things: coop ventilation & brooder dust related.

ChickiesInUtah

Chirping
7 Years
May 14, 2012
Northern Utah
1. I cannot believe the dust these chicks have generated. They're in our laundry room. I wiped out the laundry basket and
th.gif
gross. It isn't contained to the laundry room, either.

2. We had pretty bad, windy weather here on Saturday. We were working inside the coop. I was able to tell what the ventilation would be like. I thought that was clever.

Last edited:
Fred,

Do you have anything written about your outdoor brooding techniques? I am hoping to hatch my first chicks this weekend. I really don't want to keep them in the house...it is much warmer outside this time of year. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Which is exactly why we have never brooded inside the house.

Glad you're getting your coop done.  You'll love getting them moved out where they belong.

I agree wholeheartedly with Fred. I just sectioned off an area of my coop with a watermelon box for the first 2 weeks,then I gave them the whole coop. I started out with a 250 w heat lamp, but by the end of the second week I was only using a 100w and only at night. My chicks will be 4 weeks old on Monday and they have been putting themselves up without any coaxing from me right at sunset for a week now. I have not turned the heat lamp on for the past week . Most of my chicks are now fully feathered save a few fluffs on their necks. I do have a couple of Columbian Wydonette's that are a bit behind in feathering, but I believe they are slow growers.

I haven't had chickens since I was a teenager and this was my first time raising chicks so this is just my experience. I used common sense and took the advice of those who told me it would be fine to brood my chicks outside. It has been such a great experience without any mess or smells in my house. I think it is so much better for the chicks, but again I don't have as much experience as others here so just MHO. Here is a link to my thread that has some pictures from last week.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...in-their-coop-new-photos-5-27-12#post_9049036

I keep reading about dust but my almost 4 week olds dont seem to make much. Is it because I only have two, or they are not to that stage yet, or is it because up until today they were only using paper towels in the brooder OR do I have dust but just dont realize it yet?????

I keep reading about dust but my almost 4 week olds dont seem to make much. Is it because I only have two, or they are not to that stage yet, or is it because up until today they were only using paper towels in the brooder OR do I have dust but just dont realize it yet?????

Because you only have two.

When we brood out 25-50 chicks? The dust is worse than Southern California Santa Anna. The smell of 30-50 chicks at four weeks? Ripe doesn't begin to describe it. lol

99% of the chicks in the world, of the world's chicken population of 5-8 billion chicks are brooded in shed, barns, coops, etc. Those brooded indoors is a tiny fraction of 1%.

Last edited:
Paper towel is dust free :p And you only have two. The shavings are very dusty. You would notice it with only two as well if they like to dust bathe.

Yeah, I don't think I'll ever brood indoors again. There are only five of them but the smell is overpowering. I'm usually the first one home after work so it hits me full on in the face. I then open every window and door.

Hmmm I have 18 good looking eggs in the bator ready to hatch in the next few days. I am now worried about the smell/dust I am going to have with that many chicks!! I don't even have a coop ready yet so I can't do outside--just yet!!!

Back
Top Bottom