Two to five ratio,Can it work?

Mandrogora

Songster
5 Years
Jun 28, 2018
NW Montana
I currently have one male and five females. I've been asked to take another male from someone who has too many and is concerned about inbreeding amongst their flock. I don't know how old he is or what breed. I think he hatched out this spring and is most likely a Rouen. I've been told he is really small. My male is a Black Swedish so he's good sized. The females are Cayuga, Two Indian runners ( one of which is very petite), White crested, & Pekin. My pekin is the one that rules the roost and the largest, I think she might be the bigger problem with a new member at the moment. So can two males work with five ladies? My first reaction was no but I know he's going to the chopping block if I don't take him.

I would never suggest having 3 drakes and 4 hens housed together, Drakes breed all year around and get more aggressive during breeding season. A good ratio for ducks is 1:4 and when keeping multiple drakes in one group I like to have at least 6 hens per drake to avoid any over-breeding problems or fights between the drakes.

I would never suggest having 3 drakes and 4 hens housed together, Drakes breed all year around and get more aggressive during breeding season. A good ratio for ducks is 1:4 and when keeping multiple drakes in one group I like to have at least 6 hens per drake to avoid any over-breeding problems or fights between the drakes.
I meant 2 drakes not 3. I just accidentally pressed 3

Back
Top Bottom