Two tone egg

utahmethodist

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
SLC, UT
I found two weird eggs in the roost area this week. One was a no-shell.....no big mystery there. But the other was odd-colored. It was medium brown on one half and light brown on the other. It was as if it had been dipped half-way down in Easter egg dye with a perfect demarcation between the two colors. Of course I forgot to take a picture and this morning I went and ate it so I can't show it to you, but somebody around here has an identical one in their avatar photo. What's the deal with this? How on earth does a chicken do that?!?
idunno.gif

By the way, I'm pretty sure both of the oddball eggs came from my Australorp who's been laying for about two months. She's NEVER laid an egg outside the nest box before until these two. It's like she knew they were weird eggs and didn't want to waste her time laying them up in the nest. Maybe she's more clever than I give her credit for.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I get about 3 of these eggs per day. I am pretty sure that my RIR are laying them. The variation from the top to the bottom is very distinct. I think "FarmerKitty" has a picture of a two-toned egg that she collected from her hens as her avatar.

Last edited:
Yep! I'm the one with the two toned egg as my avator. I have no clue what causes it. I've only had the one egg like it and my girls have been laying for a little over a year now.

I got one of those Sunday! It was a pullet egg and on the light brown side right in the middle is a perfect darker brown circle. I forgot to take a pic too, it was a strange looking one though.

Back
Top Bottom