Two week-old chick with slipped tendon

Chicken Happy

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 6, 2012
North Idaho
Have a 2 week-old with a slipped tendon. I have tried to correct this - popping tendon back in, splint, vet wrap, etc. I have tried, but it is harder to get back in place now and he seems in pain. ARGH! Is it getting too late for it to work?

Thank you. The last link was the one I have read and reread over the last couple weeks. I am going to give the little guy another shot, but
barnie.gif

We just had this experience- It took me several days to get to the library (where the internet lives right now.) and do enough research to realize this was the problem. For us, the chick's monetary 'value' was not the issue- I felt like if it was willing to keep fighting, I was willing to try! We used vetwrap and even a sling to support it, and really I feel we had GOOD results... but because it took so long for me to identify the problem, the tendon had time to 'tighten' so it was not as easy to keep it in place than if I had known what it was when it hatched! Also, there was joint swelling from that damage, and a cut from it scooting around with the other chicks who were stronger and a few days older.

Today we put him down and I felt bad- but he was VERY happy when he was still fighting to make it- and he was showing increased improvement untill this morning- only this morning he got listless and didn't want my help anymore, he just wanted to lay and sleep and stopped eating/drinking on his own. We chose to put him down. I feel like if they're willing to fight, it's worth it to give them the chance!

If I had known what this was and how to treat it, as soon as we noticed it after hatching, I think he would have made a full recovery. I really do. I will definately try this again if we see it again in chicks we hatch!

We just had this experience- It took me several days to get to the library (where the internet lives right now.) and do enough research to realize this was the problem. For us, the chick's monetary 'value' was not the issue- I felt like if it was willing to keep fighting, I was willing to try! We used vetwrap and even a sling to support it, and really I feel we had GOOD results... but because it took so long for me to identify the problem, the tendon had time to 'tighten' so it was not as easy to keep it in place than if I had known what it was when it hatched! Also, there was joint swelling from that damage, and a cut from it scooting around with the other chicks who were stronger and a few days older.

Today we put him down and I felt bad- but he was VERY happy when he was still fighting to make it- and he was showing increased improvement untill this morning- only this morning he got listless and didn't want my help anymore, he just wanted to lay and sleep and stopped eating/drinking on his own. We chose to put him down. I feel like if they're willing to fight, it's worth it to give them the chance!

If I had known what this was and how to treat it, as soon as we noticed it after hatching, I think he would have made a full recovery. I really do. I will definately try this again if we see it again in chicks we hatch!
My poor little guy is still going. Still feisty and picking on the buddies I brought home for the critter...needed one - got 3 (chicken math). the new chicks are a week older and bigger, but do not mess with the "Claw", the little monsters name at the moment.
I have stopped wrapping the leg. The tendon is unmovable and I do not want to cause more pain. I will let nature take the lead on this one now. If Claw can deal with the handicap and be happy - I will not do the dreaded deed. If not, I will have to do the humane thing. I realize that when it gets older, that living with the main mob of hens will be not a great idea. It shall be hanging with the pampered silkies as a buddy. We shall see.
I am sorry that your little guy had to be put down. It is hard. So sorry.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom