1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two week olds and chick grit

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by crazyhen, Oct 29, 2008.

1. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Is the chick grit to large for two week old chicks. I would like to treat my little ones to just a small snack of greens or oatmeal. They are growing like crazy. They loved the bit of yogurt I gave then. Fought over it already. Maybe I could also start a bit of bread occ. Jean

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I got a bag of chick grit accidently. It's like course sand. Pinkish if it has iron added. I think the real trick would be giving them a little but never too much!! Stuff is heavy. Not sure how well the chickees would move if they over-indulged. . . [​IMG]

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*deleted d.p.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Shouldn't be. The bag I have says use size #1 chick grit from the 1st to 3rd week and to start free feeding it at 2weeks. Then use the #2 grower size from 4-7 weeks. Chickens won't weigh themselves down with grit. Once they are old enough to recognize what is food and what isn't they will eat grit as they need it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by