Tylan 50 for Duck - Dosage needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ILuvSilkies4208, Nov 4, 2015.

1. ILuvSilkies4208

ILuvSilkies4208 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2014
    Hello, I have Tylan 50 injectible on hand and I have a Cayuga duck with a lump on the side of his throat. I am suspecting infection as a possibility and want to give an antibiotic a go, but I have never had a duck with any issue before so I am actually not sure how to treat them.

a) Might someone assist me with dosage for a medium-weight duck?
    b) Does anyone have any good resources for the first aid kit/medications for ducks please since this is geared towards chickens here. :)

Thank you in advance.

2. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    Have you first ruled out any other possibilities? Could it be a foreign object stuck? Possible insect bite or sting that caused swelling? Could you provide a picture? Is your duck able to eat and drink?

I'm not against antibiotics completely but personally only use them as a last resort. It's best to rule out as much as possible before giving antibiotics. Not all antibiotics treat every infection. Are you sure it's an infection?

1 person likes this.
  3. ILuvSilkies4208

Oct 3, 2014
    I cannot be sure of anything, but 2 days ago it was the size of a small gumball, loose, and the skin around the area and feathers look fine. It's small. It seems that it has increased in size a tad, as I have been monitoring to see if it would. It's on the neck, not in the throat. It could be a tumor for all I know. I'm not a vet and there is not one locally for ducks- I have looked- hence throwing out some ideas and inquiring here for input. The ducks acts totally fine, but I don't want this to get out of hand. If it's an infection, antibiotics seem logical to me. If it's another sort of growth, I believe my hands are tied. I am without a camera, actually, otherwise I would have posted. :/ Thank you for chiming in and for your questions.

4. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    There is dosing information on the following thread post #6
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1038156/injectable-tylan-50-question

You will first need to get a weight on her. If it is an infection, under dosing can cause possible bacterial resistance. Likewise you do not want to over dose, obviously.

I wish I could help you further. I hope another member can offer you better information.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What side of the neck is it on?

-Kathy

6. ILuvSilkies4208

Oct 3, 2014
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate your input and feedback! I will check out the link.

7. ILuvSilkies4208

Oct 3, 2014
    Thank you, Kathy. It is on his left side a bit under the jaw. Only on the one side.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of it?

-Kathy

9. ILuvSilkies4208

Oct 3, 2014
    My camera broke and I have yet to be able to replace it. If I can borrow someone's camera phone, I will give it a go.

10. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    It would be really helpful if you can. It would be better to get an idea of what it could be before jumping to antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by