Tylan Doseage???

Yes: ml=cc's. 1ml=1cc=100 units. And your vet is giving your birds SLIGHTLY under the maximum dosage (which can be as high as 40 mg/kg) of tylan 200. They are dosing your birds at around 30 mg/kg, which is totally fine. I give mine 35mg/kg, twice a day and never had a problem. I would give the doses that the vet has prescribed. Here's the link from the Merck vet manual with the dosages of many common avian antibiotics: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/servlet/CVMHighLight?file=htm/bc/texl03.htm&word=table,antimicrobials,caged,birds

There's
two trains of thought (maybe more, but I'm only aware of these two...) when it comes to treating with tylan. Some vets like to give only one or two injections, several days apart and this apparently does meet with pretty good success. However, I've heard of a lot of people having relapses within a couple of weeks of dosing this way (I've not tried it myself, so I'm just drawing from the experiences of others). I prefer the Merck vet dosage, as I have read that the "active life" of the tylan in the system is only 8 hours, with the effectiveness of the medication dropping off rapidly after that. I once had an acutely ill hen that I brought to the vet. She was given tylan (35 mg/kg) three times per day in combination with amikacin once per day. She survived and went on to live another 4 years, so the high dosage of tylan didn't hurt her in the slightest.

Hope this clears it up for you a bit,

Laura

Thank you everyone who has chimed in with your knowledge and experience...I feel much better know. I have not started treatment yet...I get the Tylan early this coming week.

I will go ahead and dose my smaller hens 2-4 lbs 0.2 ml 2 x per day
5 lb 0.35 ml 2 x per day
6+lb 0.40ml 2 x per day

for 5-7 days..

I will update with my results. I'm still not sure it's Coryza. There are several inconsistancies with the symptoms.

On one hand they do sneeze, cough, have rattling chests, runny beaks that smell (just a few smell) some have pale combs and limp combs and have lost weight.

On the other hand, their appetite is very good, droppings are normal-nice firm tubular lumps and clusters ( sorry, thats grossly descriptive) very active, no bubbly, crusty eyes, no facial swelling or wattle swelling and egg production is increasing rather than decreasing and eggs are getting larger and have good, solid shells!

None seem to be sick other than than the "cold like" symptoms and none are acting like they are on their "way out"

We'll see what happens next week...Thanks to all again!!

Susan

Back
Top Bottom