Tylan Injectable

smdcleland

Songster
Sep 4, 2021
Upstate, NY
Hello. One of my girls might have MG. I could only find Tylan injectable. Is it possible to put it in her water and treat the whole flock since it's so contagious?

Hello. One of my girls might have MG. I could only find Tylan injectable. Is it possible to put it in her water and treat the whole flock since it's so contagious?
Tylan injectable cant be mixed in water. You can purchase Tylan soluble powder but will most likely require a prescription.
Since you dont know for sure if your hen has MG and other birds arnt showing symptoms, you might consider if it's something in the environment causing similar symptoms, ie; ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, fungus inside the coop, improper coop ventilation, dust from dust bathing, inhalation of feed dust while feeding, pollen, pesticide use etc.
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...tent=FRX Swine (X210) PDP Free Shipping (DSA)

What are the symptoms? It is okay to give Tylan 50 orally chickens. But the injectable is not enough to put in the water, just given individually. If the symptoms look like MG—bubbles or foam in an eye, swelling of the eyelid or face, I would give 0.25 ml per pound of weight orally, 3 times a day for 3-5 days. Treat only the chicken with symptoms. Be careful to give a little at a time, letting them swallow, and not to choke the bird. It is always best to get tested, or if you lose one, have your state vet do a necropsy where they can diagnose what they have. There can be 6 or so common respiratory diseases, bacterial or mycoplasma, viruses, or fungal diseases. Here is a link for a lab that can send swabs for you to return and get testing for a respiratory panel:
https://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

Since I'm not positive that she has it, is it still okay to treat her? She had foamy eyes and is sneezing. Her nose was a little crusty at one point too, and she was mouth breathing. I could hear rattling when she breathed.

Since I'm not positive that she has it, is it still okay to treat her? She had foamy eyes and is sneezing. Her nose was a little crusty at one point too, and she was mouth breathing. I could hear rattling when she breathed.
Tylan 50 dosage given orally is 0.25ml per pound or 1.25ml for a 5 pound hen three times a day for 5 days. Be careful not to aspirate your hen, it might be best to give her 1/4ml at a time using a syringe without a needle.

Back
Top Bottom