1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tylan Powder - Need Dosage Info

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MichenerFarm, Mar 9, 2012.

1. MichenerFarm

MichenerFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    The Wild West
    A few of my chickens are sneezing & producing mucous. I just bought the Tylan powder but there's no directions for dosage in 1 gallon of water & any info on an egg withdrawal period. Can somebody please help me with this?

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Post #2 has the correct dosage. Post #4 has the withdrawal period in this link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...an-water-soluble-powder-dosage-to-small-flock

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Is there a foul odor about their head area? If so, you might be dealing with coryza. No odor could be MG.

5. MichenerFarm

Apr 13, 2011
    The Wild West
    No odor at all. Will Tylan take care of either of those? What's MG?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I'm glad there isnt an odor. Here's a couple of links for you; Respiratory Diseases in Poultry. Scroll down til you get to Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) in the first link and you can read about it. Also the second link is more in depth about MG.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps034

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It would be better using tylan 50 injectable rather than the soluable. Sick birds slack off eating and drinking, they may not drink enough of it to be effective. The injectable can be found in the cattle section at a feed store. You'll need a syringe with a needle to extract it from the bottle. You can give it orally to your infected birds.
    Dosage is 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds, once a day for 5 days.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  8. MichenerFarm

Apr 13, 2011
    The Wild West

That's very true! I'll have to call my feed store & see if they have the injections. After this, I'm keepin' a chicken first aid kit on hand at all times!

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    IF it's MG and you read those links I mentioned, you know that MG can spread throughout your flock. It can pass through eggs to new hatchlings. You will have to maintain a closed flock. Eventually the disease will build resistance to the tylan and will it become ineffective.
    If in fact it's MG, your best bet would be to purchase denagard and oxine. Use them in combination to treat your birds. There is no resistance, no egg withdrawal for either product. However, your birds will still be carriers, a closed flock must be maintained.
    A blood sample or necropsy can determine exactly what you're dealing with. You can contact your county extension agent, or state agriculture department as how to go about testing.

10. MichenerFarm

Apr 13, 2011
    The Wild West
    I can't get those links to work. I'll google MG & see what I can come up with. Today was day one of day three for the treatment. What would you do for the withdrawal period? Would you really do just 1 day?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by