Tylan questions-*update*-bubble under skin

turtleblossom

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Kentucky
After buying a sick bird at a swap meet my whole flock has IB. Symptoms include coughing, and a few runny noses. The sick hen (named smurfette by my hubby) had a swolen face with a bubbly eye. She was treated by my local vet, and is now healthy. I need to treat the rest of the flock , and I bought Tylan 50 Injectable but now I don't know how much to use. I have LF and banties. I have read the following conflicting info:

For LF give 5cc, and for banties give.25 cc; treat once

But I have also found info that says to give 1-1.5 cc for 3-5 days consecutively, with no info on if this is for LF or banties.

What to do? Not all birds are showing symptoms, but I want to treat them all now anyway.

Last edited:
Hi!

I don't know what LF is, but I have seen similar: For standard birds .5cc(ml) under skin at back of the neck at junction with back for 5 days. Can also be done in the breast. Position of injection should be changed daily, since Tylan apparently burns a bit--i bet you know this already, though.

I've also seen 1.0-1.15cc(ml) for 3 days.

You also realize that Tylan is not labeled for meat or egg birds, since withdrawal time of residues is unknown. Therefore, you will have to toss all eggs for a good while before you could eat any, and even then there could be some antibiotic residues--but very little is known for sure, as few studies of this sort have been done for poultry. I've seen 30 days as a proposed withdrawal period for Tylan 50 inj., but again........

Also, if your flock really does have a respiratory illness. They will all remain carriers, and the disease can appear again. Moreover, any new stock you introduced will be infected. This is why many simply cull against all respiratory diseases, once they are seen to be truly present.

Did you quarantine the new bird (smurfette
lol.png
) for at least 30 days before intro-ing her to the flock. You might consider this in the future if you decide to risk adding outside, mature birds to your flock........

Good luck. I'm dealing with similar--though not so clear--issues with my flock

peace

I give my standards .5 cc under the skin in the back of the neck. 5 days in a row. I talked to the chicken Dr and he said 1cc was too much, i needed to cut it in half. So .5cc for large and I would go with .25 for banties. Good luck to you.

Thanks for all the info. I did quarentine Smurfette when I got her, but about 2 wks into it I had a OEGB hen get loose and I think she might have gone visiting...
Smurfette was the only one to show any major symptoms (swolen face and bubbly eye), the rest show no symptoms, or at the most a cough now and again. Smurfette recovered without incident, even laying a few normal looking eggs, and has not been sick since. This leads me to believe that once I get this under controll my birds may not get sick again. Is this wishful thinking? My birds are all pets, and I certainly do not want to cull them. They are not all sick, just a few that cough now and again. No rattley breathing or gasping, no swolen faces or bubbly eyes. Another reason that I think this might be a mild case is that I have 4 bantie hens that just started to lay (right on time). If they were really sick wouldn't that delay egg production?

Yes, egg production will decrease when a hen is sick.

If you just have a mild case of respiratory illness, you can put Terramycin in their drinking water for 7 days, and that may clear up the coughing, sneezing, etc. It is a broad spectrum antibiotic, so it isn't as strong as Tylan. I use 1/2 tsp per 1 gallon of water.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom