Type of Bulb for Winter Light in the Coop...

rambunctious

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 9, 2012
Ohio
I've been rolling through several articles here on BYC and a few online as well. I'm a bit confused to what type of bulb I need to light the coop this winter.

What spectrum light?
Florescent?
LED?
Rope lights?

I'm in northern Ohio. We get chilly, mostly we get windy and chilly.

I'd love any suggestions you've got. As of right now- we have extension cords run to the coop in prep for the lighting.

Thanks!

I've been rolling through several articles here on BYC and a few online as well. I'm a bit confused to what type of bulb I need to light the coop this winter.

What spectrum light?
Florescent?
LED?
Rope lights?

I'm in northern Ohio. We get chilly, mostly we get windy and chilly.

I'd love any suggestions you've got. As of right now- we have extension cords run to the coop in prep for the lighting.

Thanks!

Do you want a light for heat also?

If you have a coop that is dry and not drafty, you do not need to heat the coop.

Some use a light to encourage winter laying. I think it may depend on what breed of hens you have. If you just want light, go with the least expensive to use, which would be an LED light. You can get a string of white LED Christmas lights pretty cheap.

Last edited:
I live in Canada where the winters are fairly mild as of late we do not get temperatures much below -40º C or F take your pick. I do not put light or heat in my coop.

If I were to put light I would be inclined to put some sort of solar powered device.

Last edited:
Noticed you said you have extension cords running to your coop........... I do as well (and live in Michigan).

Make sure they are plugged into a GFCI outlet so if snow, rain, water touches the electric your chickens don't end up "Fried chicken".

I have a heavy duty cord running from my house almost to the coop. Where I had to add another shorter one I wrapped the connection with about 1/2 a roll of electrical tape to make sure water could not get in.

I currently have a night light on a timer in my coop to let me know when my automatic coop door is closed (I can see the light from my house). This winter I don't think I will add a light for heat or any other reason unless it gets to zero or below, then I might add a 40 watt that will go on during the night to add a little heat to the coop.

This will be my first winter with chickens so I'm not an expert.

Do you turn the lights on early in the morning before sunrise, or leave them on later at night? I'm wondering if the chooks would have trouble getting to the roost if the lights just went out suddenly at night. Does anyone leave a light on all of the time? I think a LED rope light might be easiest in the coop.

I have mine turn on 2 hours before sunrise for the exact reason you stated about the lights going off suddenly, I put a 13inch led strip and it is plenty.

I use a fluorescent bulb in a shield, way up high, on a timer to come on at 3am.

I am going to switch to a small strip of LEDs whenever I get a chance to pick up, I think that is probably the idea light if you just want light to keep them laying.

I put a led strip from Lowe's, 13inch 100 lumens doesn't get hot and not affected by the cold got it on a timer.
This does not seem near as bright as some others use. According to another forum I looked at, the lumen output is similar to a 15 watt nightlight. Is that accurate? Is it enough light to get the chickens up and going in the morning?

Back
Top Bottom