Type of Pea Gravel for Duck/Chicken Run, especially near water

DuckDuckSook

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Southeastern PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello friends!

I know that the topic of pea gravel comes up often on here. I am thinking about adding some to my chicken/duck run to help with mud/water/drainage. What type or grand of pea gravel should I be looking for? Where do you get yours? I don't want to get something that will harm the ducks' feet. I'm thinking about buying bags of it as opposed to a bulk drop off because a truck can't really access my bird area. Thanks for your help!

We had rounded pea gravel dumped by a truck off our driveway and we hauled it in a wheelbarrow to our run.

It drained like a dream. We had large pipes underneath the pea gravel, with holes in the pipes and canvas wrapped around. I hosed off the pea gravel regularly and the water disappeared and was piped away!

Unfortunately, it caused bumblefoot in our ducks. I thought it was pretty soft. But my vet told me to get rid of it. I miss it.

We had rounded pea gravel dumped by a truck off our driveway and we hauled it in a wheelbarrow to our run.

It drained like a dream. We had large pipes underneath the pea gravel, with holes in the pipes and canvas wrapped around. I hosed off the pea gravel regularly and the water disappeared and was piped away!

Unfortunately, it caused bumblefoot in our ducks. I thought it was pretty soft. But my vet told me to get rid of it. I miss it.
I am worried about the bumblefoot issue too but after reading up about different types of ground cover, it seems to be the best, at least by the water. I don't plan on doing the entire run, just under and near the water porches. I'm hoping that that will minimize the bumblefoot risk.

While you are figuring it out, use a fatigue mat by the water. I use them around the swimming pool to help keep the geese clean when they exit. You can find them at any restaurant supply store, hardware store, costco... Run about $30.
IMG_20210415_095852.jpg

What do you use now?

What do you use now?
Just grass. I tripled the size of my aviary. It is 30x30 now. I put in a divider so it is in 2 sections. I have my ducks in one section at a time while I reseed and grow the grass back in the other side. They have a pool, but I pipe the used water away out of the aviary when I refill it. I also throw the water from their buckets out of the aviary instead of dumping it in.

The pea gravel was AMAZING for drainage. And I just hosed off the poop! For that I think you will be very satisfied.

Hello friends!

I know that the topic of pea gravel comes up often on here. I am thinking about adding some to my chicken/duck run to help with mud/water/drainage. What type or grand of pea gravel should I be looking for? Where do you get yours? I don't want to get something that will harm the ducks' feet. I'm thinking about buying bags of it as opposed to a bulk drop off because a truck can't really access my bird area. Thanks for your help!
I was told, Delaware river 3/8 pea gravel in s the smoothest

I just got the duck run finished and am deciding on the flooring. I will be purchasing pea gravel for around the pond area also.
I was told Delaware river 3/8 pea gravel was the smoothest. I was going to use around the areas where the water is, pool, drinking water source. Cuz right now it's a muddy mess. All my my grass is gone. I can't let them out to free range cuz of dogs etc.

Back
Top Bottom