Typical price of a hydrometer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by P0U1TRYP3RS0N, Apr 9, 2008.

1. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

P0U1TRYP3RS0N Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    My local Radio Shack has a combination thermometer/hygrometer (spelling??) for $19.99. Is that typical for a hydrometer? It's day 20 in the incubator and I'm really curious about the humidity level in there (too much humidity)! Also, anybody else have one from radio shack? The thermometer I'm using in the 'bator is also from radio shack and is still accurate with a degree after four years! What's better, a digital hydrometer or one used reptiles??

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    That's what we pay here. Usually 15-20 is typical for a decent one.

Jody

3. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Michigan
    First thing you need is to get your terminology straight, so you don't end up with the wrong thing. You kept interchanging these words:

Hygrometer -- Measures humidity -- this is what you want.

Hydrometer -- Measures specific gravity. not what you want.

An inexpensive digital combo temp/hygrometer would be around $20.

Either type will work. Just calibrate it. Place it in a sealable zip lock or tupperware dish with a half cup of wet (but not dissolved) table salt. Leave it in for 8 hours, and it should be at 75%. If it reads differently, then you know how far off it is.

Just to clarify, place the salt in a smaller-separate-open-container. Don't dip the Hygrometer in the salt, you just want the air inside the container to be hydrated by the salt/water combo.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  4. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

P0U1TRYP3RS0N Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Quote:Thanks! My assumption is if it's a combo thermometer/hygrometer that is the humidity measuring type, not a gravity measuring hydrometer. Thanks!!!!

5. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Actually, you can get thermometer/Hydrometer combos at almost any petstore. They are used for Salt Water aquariums.

6. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Accurite hygrometer/thermometer with probe at Walmart for $13

7. Maggie3

Maggie3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Tractor Supply also carries Accurite hygro/therm for around $9.00.

8. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I got mine on e-Bay for less than $10 a piece. I ordered 3 of them and with the shipping included it cost $28.95! Not bad for 3 digitals!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by