Typical price of a hydrometer?

P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
My local Radio Shack has a combination thermometer/hygrometer (spelling??) for $19.99. Is that typical for a hydrometer? It's day 20 in the incubator and I'm really curious about the humidity level in there (too much humidity)! Also, anybody else have one from radio shack? The thermometer I'm using in the 'bator is also from radio shack and is still accurate with a degree after four years! What's better, a digital hydrometer or one used reptiles??

That's what we pay here. Usually 15-20 is typical for a decent one.

Jody

First thing you need is to get your terminology straight, so you don't end up with the wrong thing. You kept interchanging these words:

Hygrometer -- Measures humidity -- this is what you want.

Hydrometer -- Measures specific gravity. not what you want.

An inexpensive digital combo temp/hygrometer would be around $20.

Either type will work. Just calibrate it. Place it in a sealable zip lock or tupperware dish with a half cup of wet (but not dissolved) table salt. Leave it in for 8 hours, and it should be at 75%. If it reads differently, then you know how far off it is.

Just to clarify, place the salt in a smaller-separate-open-container. Don't dip the Hygrometer in the salt, you just want the air inside the container to be hydrated by the salt/water combo.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks! My assumption is if it's a combo thermometer/hygrometer that is the humidity measuring type, not a gravity measuring hydrometer. Thanks!!!!

I got mine on e-Bay for less than $10 a piece. I ordered 3 of them and with the shipping included it cost $28.95! Not bad for 3 digitals!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom