Ugg!! Help!!!

Ok now I seem to have two problems. One every time I post a new thread it comes up blank so I have to re-post as a reply. Has anyone else had that problem? My second problem is I would like to put up aviary netting over my chicken run but can't find any website that tells me how to do it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well, first let me tell you that if 'aviary' netting is not the same thing as the plastic garden variety bird netting, then my reply may not help.

Secondly, what would you be attaching it TO? I attached bird netting to my welded wire utility fencing with zip ties.

I did tried the deer netting over a small enclosure that I use in the winter and as one might have guessed it came down in the first heavy wet snow storm.

I know it looks horrible but I had to whip it up in freezing temperatures when all of the sudden a hawk started picking them off. So for now they are OK with some modifications and they don't like coming out in the snow much anyway. But once spring comes I would really like to make it safe for them from the hawks/other raptors but just don't know where to begin. The area is about 40'x60'. It is surrounded by a split rail fence so I lined it with the typical 5' wire fencing and other than the hawks it has worked perfectly. I raise the chickens at the school where I work so it needs to look as lovely as possible. I would love any pictures you might have and any advice on what to order and how to do it. I just don't know where to begin! I'm going to include several pictures to I hope will help you understand the space I am dealing with.

My only issue might be the tree standing in the middle of the pen and the pine tree branches that get hang down with snow.

This is the view from my classroom which might give you some sort of perspective. The coop is about 3/4 to the right and that is the at the end of that side of the pen. Then there are four very visible tree trunks and it ends at the forth one to the left. I'm sure this is WAY more information than you wanted. Again, thank your for any input.
thumbsup.gif

On the DIY thread, I saw where someone used electric fence wire (not hooked up, just that gauge wire) and make a raptor deterrent roof. Envision sort of a maypole set up with a pole in the center and the wire going from one side of the fence, wrapping around the center post then across to the other side. Move over 12 inches, do again. I don't know how to link the thread for you but maybe someone else will.

On the DIY thread, I saw where someone used electric fence wire (not hooked up, just that gauge wire) and make a raptor deterrent roof. Envision sort of a maypole set up with a pole in the center and the wire going from one side of the fence, wrapping around the center post then across to the other side. Move over 12 inches, do again. I don't know how to link the thread for you but maybe someone else will.
That is a very interesting idea. I have consulted with a woman who runs runs raptor sanctuary. I was concerned about finding some poor hawk or owl tangled up in the netting and wanted to be sure it was safe for both raptors and chickens. She assured me that they know full well when the netting is up and if for some reason if they do get tangled it is quite easy to free them. That being said she told me that she has seen hawks swoop down startling the chicken causing them to fly upward and then turn back and catch them at the top of the cage! Stinkers!
he.gif

Once I saw your setup, I was going to suggest the same thing that MJAnderson437 did. I have seen several posters who used this 'maypole' type overhead protection and they say it is very effective. Some have used wire (think the lightweight baling wire), some suggest heavy guage monofiliment (I'm thinking that's like fishing line)(I'm an old woman, what do I know.). I was having some trouble with 'sag' when I first put up my bird netting, so I went back and underneath the bird netting I 'wove' baling wire back and forth from hooks I attached to my coop to the fencing. This provided some support to keep the bird netting from sagging.

Hi chickschool and
welcome-byc.gif
I got my heavy duty netting from Cutler Supply. But with your fencing you'll need a center support. I have a tree in the middle of my run to and just worked it under the braches after some trimming.

Join us on the MI thread. There are lots of people from up your way.

Hi chickschool and
welcome-byc.gif
I got my heavy duty netting from Cutler Supply. But with your fencing you'll need a center support. I have a tree in the middle of my run to and just worked it under the braches after some trimming.

Join us on the MI thread. There are lots of people from up your way.
How do I do that? Just as I'm not that computer savvy and as I was just getting the hang of the last BYC set-up they changed it.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom