ugggggggg I need meds for my chook and no one will give them to me!!

Quote:
Probably not a good plan since dispensing meds without a license would be illegal I would think.

I know, you are right. My heart just aches for the poor bird & ahappychick.
hit.gif

Quote:
yes I know it is a radical solution to brain swelling in this case from a bump on the head. It was reccomended to me by Dr. Brown at First State Vet and is also on a site by Blue egg Brown Egg

I have another thread that goes into detail.

As for the people who offered I was trying to go a legal route since I though maybe there was a vet someone knew or some way that was not putting anyone at risk.

Just an fyi-"Doc" Brown @ First State Vet Supply knows a lot about poultry illness but he's not a "Dr".

Many vets prefer metacam to prednisone. Call your county extension office and ask if they know any vets who will treat chickens at a reasonable price. You can explain the situation, but I would not say that you are trying to simply get a prescription filled. I would say that the bird is a pet, not livestock (to avoid them saying "cull it." Once you get some names, then you can ask about costs and whether they will prescribe without seeing the bird (I doubt it). My chicken vet only costs about $40 for a visit. The dog and cats cost far more, but still nowhere near $150.

If the county extension ofice does not have names of vets, try the state vet's office. If your state's land grant university has a poultry department or even section, they may have veterinary resources available at low cost.

Wow, I'm sorry. But seriously, what chicken in the world could be worth $150.00????? What are you giving the prednisone for, and could you try an OTC option? There is counter medciation for ashtma, maybe that could work.

Last edited:
Prednisone has many uses other than as a treatment for asthma. An asthma treatment is not what is needed, but rather something that will reduce the swelling (inflammation) in the brain.

OMG I just found some. I went searhing everywhere and found an old travel bag I had last year and I must have has a bottle of it for one of those "incase" times and it is full cause as usual I never used it.
big_smile.png

it not even expired!!!!

So thanks everyone for you help and concern
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom