Ugh, eggtopsy gone wrong, SO upset!

Kaerie

Chirping
Mar 26, 2018
So, we were given a half dozen black copper maran eggs at a local poultry show about a month ago. The eggs had been scrubbed for the show, and not handled properly for hatching, because they were never intended for that purpose. But whatever, we thought we'd toss them in the 'bator anyway, and maybe we'd get lucky and get a chick.

That was about a month ago. A few days ago, we had one actually hatch! It was a day or two late, but whatever.. we were thrilled.

This morning, I decided to open the others, just to see what might have happened. I tried candling, but.. the shells are so dark that it was pointless. I've never seen anything at all when candling these, despite all my best efforts. Float test showed nothing, as well.

The first egg I opened was obviously never fertilized, not entirely unexpected. With the second, I slipped a little, the eggshell basically shattered.. and the living chick started peeping up a storm. Very obviously not ready yet, because.. blood. But not copious amounts. I can't see if there's unabsorbed yolk or not.

The membranes are almost completely intact, but the shell is basically gone. I cleared the membrane away from baby's beak, wrapped it in a damp paper towel, put it in a cup, and put it back in the 'bator. Raised the humidity as high as I could (it's near impossible to get above about 70%, where I live), and am just watching.

I just feel sick. I could seriously just cry.

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry for your slip... :barnie

I very honestly DOUBT that chick could make it even without your slip... this much late... but maybe your temp was a little low on your bator?

I don't think you need to go above 70% humidity. That should be good. Also though if they weren't moved around inside the bator, I guess temp variances could allow for much later hatchers.

I once accidentally aborted an embryo from misreading the candling, and kicked myself. :sick

But we just do the best we can and try not to repeat our mistakes. If that babe doesn't make it... try not to blame yourself. It was an accident. :hugs

Hoping for a positive outcome! :fl :jumpy

It's a new 'bator, because I wanted one (finally) with an auto-turner. I have 3 different therm's/hygro's in there, and none of the readings have really matched up with any of the others, although 2 of them are usually only about a degree off of each other.

I'm using my tried-and-true thermometer as a baseline, but it's very possible the temps were a little low. This is a larger 'bator, and I've really struggled to keep temps consistent in there, this round.

Maybe I'll just go back to my little hand-turning 'bator. Ugh!

Baby is still hanging in there, I can see it breathing still, and making an effort to peep every so often. Still wrapped in damp paper towels, and humidity is sittlng at about 73% now. I'm not touching the other 3 eggs that are still in there for at least 3 more days!

It's a new 'bator, because I wanted one (finally) with an auto-turner. I have 3 different therm's/hygro's in there, and none of the readings have really matched up with any of the others, although 2 of them are usually only about a degree off of each other.

I'm using my tried-and-true thermometer as a baseline, but it's very possible the temps were a little low. This is a larger 'bator, and I've really struggled to keep temps consistent in there, this round.
I recently got a larger one too (96 egg plastic, cheap hot mess). Temps are SO varied though out even though they ARE consistent... making sure to move the eggs every day at least once can help a lot. I do this in my auto or hand turner.

And for the first time EVER I am having a late hatch today! My hatches have always happened on the correct day and within a twelve hour time frame. I usually unplug and move on by day 22... not this time. :hmm

Update: 18 hours later, chick is out of the remnants of shell completely. She absorbed all of the yolk, but has a little bit of a rough navel, so I'm keeping her in the cup overnight. I still don't think her chances are good, but am doing what I can.

Also, another egg pipped! Definitely need to thoroughly check my thermometers, when this is done. Temps were obviously too low in this new bator!

Back
Top Bottom