Ugh...kids

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I've had my peafowl pair for about 9 months. During this time, they've been in a 15' x 20' (estimate) building. The building does not have a run, so they've not been outside since I've had them. The past few days I've been leaving their door open in the hopes that they'll come out and free-range a bit. So far, they have done nothing but stand back away from the door and look.
I don't even remember leaving their door open today, I'm not sure if I did or if my 'helpful' son opened it for me, but the peas got out. At first, my son told me the cock was out of the building. When I went to check, both the birds were out and had already been scared into the trees by my 'helpful' son. I saw where they both were, which was not far from their building.

Now the cock is on top of their building and the hen is no where in site. He's been calling for her, but so far...nothing. I guess I just need some tips or whatever on how I can find her and get them back in their pen? I know I fed them, but the time between when I fed them and when they came out tells me that they did not eat. I've been trying to coax them back with the sound of their feed but it's not working. Anything else I can do to get them back in?

do you want them to free range?, My advise is try not to panic. When they are chased, they run and fly. You just have to wait for them to calm down may
be a couple hours or a day and entice them with treats. I have driven down the road chasing my loose peas early on, but these I bought as adults and had
lived as free range birds before I got them so I thought I would never see them again, but they came back.

Another story I have is when I traveled 2 hour to neighboring state to pick up some blackshoulders, when I got there the seller was upset, he had spooked
them and the birds had spent the day on his roof of his house, he had tried to hose them off he had a ladder propped up against the house. He gave me a peachick
for my trouble, about 2 weeks later he had caught them and i purchased them.

Occasionally one of our caged birds will escape, (we wanted to free range, but our neighbors trees over his house are just too attractive for our Peas) and they
will eventually come home. either the next morning or afternoon they will be around the outside of the cage wanting back in, but not too sure they want herded inside.
Its kind of a dance, we have to keep the other birds inside, while leaving the door open for the interloper to get back in.

Good luck!!

The male should call her back home. Leave some food and water at the door to the building. If they are used to sleeping in there at night, the likely will go back in to sleep. That is what my free ranging peas do with their barn.

77123_1.jpg

It's dark now and she hasn't come back even though he's been calling her. He's not in their building; instead he's sleeping on top of it. There aren't any flying predators that can get them, right? I would think she's in a tree, so won't have to worry about coyotes. Hopefully she'll come back tomorrow.
sad.png

I wanted to let them out of their house for a little while since it's been so hot here. The plan was to let them come out on their own (reason why I've been leaving their door open while I've been feeding) so they can get used to their surroundings and know how to get back into their house. Of course, with my son and dad always trying to sabotage my plans, it didn't work the way I wanted
sad.png

She knows how to get home. I don't think she is very far. If she sleeps on a roost then she will be up high somewhere. Owles, coons and opossums can snatch them at night. I had a young hawk this evening try to get one of my guineas, They went nuts and my 5 1/2 mont old pyreneese tore out like a bat ot of hell after the hawk. The whole episoid got all of my birds very worked up and my yearling BS male started calling for the first time since I brought him home 6 weeks ago.

They know where they get fed and watered. Most likely you will see them in the morning. My birds roam too far sometimes and perch until morning then come back to eat and drink. You should be just fine, don't panic yet. If you opened the door I assume you want them to free range during the day and come in at night? I have mine trained to do just that, and it is quite easy to do. I keep mine inside during their training and do not let them roam, otherwise, it really doesn't work unless you see them during the day and can do this. I go into their coop/run every evening before roosting time. Bring with me a treat consisting of fruit, veggies, cat or dog food, sunflower seeds, there are so many things that are good for them they like. Choose a call you like...I call "here chick, chick, chick chick" then throw down the treat inside the run. They very quickly associate that call with treats. I also do the call every time I feed and water. Once you do this for a week or two, they absolutely get the idea. Then you can let them out. In the early evening, walk into their coop and do your call, 99% of the time they come running. Just be sure that every time you do call you have a little something for them, even if it is just their normal food that you sprinkle a bit on the ground. They are so easy to train, but they also easily figure out that you are doing that call and they don't get anything, so don't call them with no reward very often.

I haven't seen her all day, I think she's gone.

Plus, the male has been on top of their building all day, I don't think he's come down for food or water. He won't stay up there forever and starve himself to death will he?

Last edited:
No he will come down to eat , predators like great horn owls will take a full grown peafowl , . he should call her home,

The hen never came back. The male sat on top of their building that day and all day the next. When I went out to feed the next morning he was gone too. So I've lost them both
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom