UGH, LICE can I add dust to sand?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by urbanfarmer101, May 11, 2010.

1. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just found lice larve and eggs on my hens. Feather loss and decrease in egg production has been happening for a month, thought they were molting...so stupid of me.

Anyway I have a plan of action on the coop and dusting the birds. My question is:

I have a dog kennel with ten 4 week old chicks that are in my "clean area" of the coop. They do not come in contact with the other birds or the bedding. Do I need to treat them for lice as well? The nesting boxes, then a piece of cardboard seperate their cage from the rest of the birds.

Thanks for all the great posts on lice here. I am so totally grossed out!! BUT at least I know what to do.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  2. urbanfarmer101

Also, if I put some sand baths in my chickens play area, can I put some lice killer powder in it, or will they eat the sand and powder and get sick?

3. Sallyschickens

Sallyschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Puget Sound Baby!
    I wouldn't dust the chicks.

As far as dusting the chicken's "dust bath sand", I only use food grade diatimatious earth, aka DE. It can be pricey, but a $20.00 50lb bag will last you all year or more. I'm only 1/2 way through mine, and it has been well over a year since I purchased it. (I have about 10-12 chickens at a time. It is natural and very safe to use around chickens, ducks etc. If they ingest it, they are safe and so are your eggs. [​IMG] It also works very, very well on lice.

Hope this helps!

4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:Exactly what I was going to say!

5. urbanfarmer101

Thanks everyone. I am off to Earl Mays to get some DE if I can find it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by