Ugh. Lost 2 chickens.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LinckHillPoultry, Jul 25, 2008.

1. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Well, on Thursday evening when I went to do my evening chores, I notice my one rooster standing in the corner of the pen breathing quite oddly. I went to see what was the matter and his comb and wattles were a dark purple and they were flopped over. His mouth was hanging open from breathing. I went to get him out of the pen as quickly as possible, due to the reason that if he had something contagious I did not want my younger pullets and roos catching it.
    I seperated him in a cage outside and fed and watered him.
    Well today, I peeked in on him and he was fine. About 4 hours later I went to check on him again and the poor guy was laying on his side, dead.
    I was sad because he was a very friendly roo, I think dark brahma, and everyone called him Jammy Pants, because it looked like he had pajama pants on. Poor guy.

And yesterday evening I went to take care of my McMurray order of chicks, and I opened the brooder and one of my golden polish chicks was laying on its side. I nudged her and she wouldn't get up. It looked as if she had a lame leg. So I took he and bandaged up her leg. Well, she seemed to just be getting worse! I searched her body and behold, she had pasty butt. I ripped her rear hole open and oh my goodness out poored chick poo. It was the worst smell I have smelt! After the initial poo, I squeezed her lower abdomen and got all the other poo out of her. She seemed to be getting better already. I gave her water in case she was dehydrated. And since I had no other available heat lamps, I ripped a piece of cardboard off a box and made her her own spot in the chick brooder under the light. I left and came back about 1 and a half hours later and she was dead. Ugh.
    Its odd though because I clean their cage every day or every other day, and everytime I do that and am transporting them to their temporary pen while I clean, I check them for pasty butt. I've never had a death because of it until yesterday. I haven't changed any of their food. I just find it odd.

Thanks for reading and listening to me [​IMG]

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sorry for your losses.....It's just a chicken thing, they can be fine one min. dead the next. We all seem to go through it at some point, doesn't make it any easier, so sorry. [​IMG]

3. CoopedUpInAZ

CoopedUpInAZ Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    Tonto Basin
    I just lost one of mine too and I don't know why. It still makes you sad either way. She seemed fine earlier in the day too.

I have really nice neighbors they wanted to give me a few of their hens since now I only have 3 girls. I'm a little concerned about fighting if I introduce new hens. I really don't know if it's a good idea but I may just try it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by